+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know quite a few people who have 'odd' names when combined with their OH name.

Paula pauling
    Danielle dan

are just a example of the names.

My first name with DH's last name is a big mouthful, but i took his last name because it was important to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hmmm, I might consider hyphenating with mine or something.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you guys understand the tradition of changing your name when you get married?

When you are born, you are the 'property' of your father hence you carry his name. When you get married, you become the 'property' of your husband, hence you take his name.

I'm not saying you are the property of anyone, just that this is the reason behind changing names.

I'm separated from my husband and planning to divorce ASAP but I won't be changing my surname back to my maiden name. I want to have the same surname as my kids.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I got married again - I don't think I WILL get married again but I'm not completely ruling it out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

kriista  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    Do you guys understand the tradition of changing your name when you get married?

When you are born, you are the 'property' of your father hence you carry his name. When you get married, you become the 'property' of your husband, hence you take his name.

I'm not saying you are the property of anyone, just that this is the reason behind changing names.

I'm separated from my husband and planning to divorce ASAP but I won't be changing my surname back to my maiden name. I want to have the same surname as my kids.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I got married again - I don't think I WILL get married again but I'm not completely ruling it out.
    Meh thats old school, and I dont think people think women are their property much anymore. To me its a respect thing also I think that it makes tracking family history easy to each their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it's not about traditionalism or the original meaning. I don't like my surname and would love to have that family unit where we all share the same surname. DD's go by DF's surname even though they are not biologically his, we just go by common law as recommended by another Hubber.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    For me it's not about traditionalism or the original meaning. I don't like my surname and would love to have that family unit where we all share the same surname. DD's go by DF's surname even though they are not biologically his, we just go by common law as recommended by another Hubber.
    Did you have to do paperwork to get their last name to his?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post

Hehe I didn't have my fathers name to start with anyway- I had my mums maiden name. And god help any man who treats me as his property lol. And yes, I understand you were simply explaining the tradition/history

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Did you have to do paperwork to get their last name to his?
    No because legally it hasn't been changed. I sought advice about it and solicitor was really rude and basically told me it would be a costly experience taking it to court even though it would be worth it to me.
    We were able to enrol them into preschool under his surname even though the documents we provided had ex's surname. I'm fairly sure for primary school we have to enroll them under their legal name but they can still be referred to as another name, have to look into it more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    No because legally it hasn't been changed. I sought advice about it and solicitor was really rude and basically told me it would be a costly experience taking it to court even though it would be worth it to me.
    We were able to enrol them into preschool under his surname even though the documents we provided had ex's surname. I'm fairly sure for primary school we have to enroll them under their legal name but they can still be referred to as another name, have to look into it more.
    Oh yeah your ex would have to agree to the change I am sure that can be tough.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Meh thats old school, and I dont think people think women are their property much anymore. To me its a respect thing also I think that it makes tracking family history easy to each their own.
    If it's a respect thing, why do the majority of women take their husbands surname as opposed to the other way around? Would you ask your husband to take your surname, out of respect? I don't really understand what you are getting at.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-05-2012),SassyMummy  (19-05-2012),T 800  (19-05-2012)