+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Julia Goolia ....so want to watch the wedding singer now lol. If his name was going to be weird with mine I'd probably hyphenate or keep my maiden.

My mum married my bio dad in 1985 I was born in 86 and they were divorced just before their 1 yr anniversary. She kept her married name even when re-partnering in 1989 with my step dad and only changed it in 2001 when she married my step dad. This is something I never really understood.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I wouldn't. No way! I love my maiden name though, and it has huge meaning to me. It's a massive part of me and I'm never giving it up.
    Me too. I love my maiden name and it's such a big part of my identity. I wouldn't want to ever be known merely as Mrs such-and-such that has nothing to do with me. (Especially since DP's last name doesn't really work well with my first name.) My maiden name is actually my mother's maiden name, and my grandpa has been such an influence on my life that I am very proud to carry his name.

I do find faroutbrusselsprout's situation interesting though with hubby taking on wife's name instead. If I did get married, I wouldn't change my name but probably wouldn't object to DP changing his to mine :P His first name doesn't really mesh with my maiden name though so that's unlikely to happen.

With baby, DP and I have agreed for baby to take on my maiden name though, as he has no relations with his father and doesn't want that name associated with his kids. So yeah, even if we did get married, DP probably wouldn't want me to take his name either. :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wippy View Post
    No! I see it as an option really. If you like the name more take it. If not stick with your maiden name.
    This is my opinion too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was in this situation, thankfully DH surname was his ex step dads so he didn't like it either so we are both changing ( to his real fathers) thank goodness because I sounded like a street walker with the other name

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't take the name, but I wouldn't take any name. I would prefer the (hypothetical) DF take my name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I mean no disrespect, I am just curious. Would you feel this way if you were still married or is it cos you are now seperated?

My sister is happily married and has never taken her hubby name and has no intention. I couldn't imagine her by any other name.

In my case, hubby and I both changed our names.
    No, I wasn't happy about it then either, but I was bullied into it because he disliked my father and thus wanted me to have a different name to my father. (He didn't like his father either, so using that logic he should've had a different name to his father.)

After a short while, I felt so uncomfortable that I never said it and only spelled it out (letter by letter) when people asked my name.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't hesitate in taking DHs name when we were married..

Probably helped that my maiden name is one of the most popular surnames in the world.. Smith!

Guest Guest
    Besides my children having dh's name, if we divorced I still wouldn't change it even if I re-married cause
    a. I'm only doing it once, it won't change for every man I'm with.
    b. I now identify with this name and feel like its mine and
    c. It's a pain in the bum to change all my stuff again like license, Medicare, super, healthcare and the list goes on. It's been 6 years and I just got 'everything' done!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

kriista  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it'd be a big deal to me. Personally it would be worth it to have my kids surname the same as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    This will probably sound horrible but my Dad's side of the family is so mashed up and not a great history. It is also a surname that many can't spell and mispronounce so I'm happy to have a normal last name when DF and I get married lol.
    I couldn't wait to get DHs surname. It's so much better than my maiden name.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

babybumblebee  (19-05-2012),brooke88(mum2b09)  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1boyplus1 View Post

Probably helped that my maiden name is one of the most popular surnames in the world.. Smith!
    If I ever married DP & agreed to change my last name it would become Smith.

I've always said that if I married someone with a strange last name, I'd keep my own as my first name is different enough. A normal surname I'd consider, such as Smith, but much prefer my own. Definitely wouldn't hyphen as my first name already is!

Answering OP's question, nope. Hairy McLairy comes to mind