+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If hyphenating my surname with his still didn't work then I'd probably keep my own. My mum always told me to avoid falling in love with someone with the surname Fisher for that reason. My first name is a rhymer.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I wouldn't. No way! I love my maiden name though, and it has huge meaning to me. It's a massive part of me and I'm never giving it up.
    Yep, same here! I was known by my DH's name for a few years and have never felt more disconnected to myself. Why should I give up my beautiful name which means so much to me?! I am now back to my maiden name and I adore it, it feels so right again.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-05-2012),HarvestMoon  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I still would yes. I'm a big believer in families having the same family name, even if we divorced my name would remain the same as my kids.
    That's interesting.... I find it strange that Dh's ex still has kept his last name even though she has re-partnered and having more children. Maybe she's a traditionalist?
    I'm just so glad neither of us have the same name as her!
    My mum recently changed her name back to her maiden name and I felt a bit sad but totally understood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Yep, same here! I was known by my DH's name for a few years and have never felt more disconnected to myself. Why should I give up my beautiful name which means so much to me?! I am now back to my maiden name and I adore it, it feels so right again.
    The thought of giving up my surname makes me want to cry! I do see what others are saying about having the same last name as their children so I might tack DP's surname on the back of mine if we have children together but I'm just so proud of my history and never want to have to lose a part of that.

I love my DP and his family immensely, but I will always be me and a part of my very amazing family.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (19-05-2012),mjayneb  (19-05-2012),Witwicky  (19-05-2012)

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't take it if it sounded funny with my name. But it sounds fine so yeah I'd change it lol. I have my mum's maiden name as my surname now, have done since I was 13 (so half my life.)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nope. But then the idea of taking on someone else's name makes me break out in a cold sweat. I don't get the 'everyone has the same name' thing. My DS has DP's name, this baby will have mine. If we had another, I don't know, we'd flip a coin maybe. I don't care that DS doesn't have my name. He has DP's name which is lovely.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This will probably sound horrible but my Dad's side of the family is so mashed up and not a great history. It is also a surname that many can't spell and mispronounce so I'm happy to have a normal last name when DF and I get married lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope.

Hubby and I changed our last name to one we made up. I didn't like the sound of his and frankly I didn't want to take on the name of his dad who isn't very nice to me or hubby.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mallie For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I probably wouldn't.

If I took DP's surname both my first and last name would start with an S. I think it looks kind of stupid tbh, and think my name looks much nicer with the surname I already have. I'll probably keep my own surname anyway I think... I have no real reason to want to take on a new identity.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I feel that taking the husband's name is declining and would counsel anyone I was close to to seriously consider the implications of that step.

I deeply regret being bullied into taking my (now ex-)husbands surname. I have reverted to my maiden name but am never free from it, because forms always ask, "have you ever been known by any other name".

Thirty years ago, however, I would've taken it without question. But if the combination was weird then considered modifying my first name to suit. For example, with Julia Goohlia, I would likely go by Jules instead.
    I mean no disrespect, I am just curious. Would you feel this way if you were still married or is it cos you are now seperated?

My sister is happily married and has never taken her hubby name and has no intention. I couldn't imagine her by any other name.

In my case, hubby and I both changed our names.