+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    No way!!
    I'm so glad DH took my name. It's awesome! lol.
    Why did he take yours?

Guest Guest
    Ancestory. com will go out of business thats for sure. I can't imagine us all having different surnames, especially my kids to each other, it's abit much for me. Each to their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was so excited to be able to take on DH's surname, and it's not like my old one was bad, or that my new one is good (Appleyard).

I can understand why people don't, especially if they come from a family of all girls or something, but for me it was part of the wedding dream.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought I would gladly take on my DH's name until I got married and the name change process became a reality. We've been married 8 months and I haven't done it. We moved, I got a new job etc as soon as we married so I had to fill out tax & bank forms etc in my legal name. Now, the more I think of it the less I am keen.

1. That's my identity. I've been this name for 30 years. I have an emotional attachment to it.

2. I have a professional reputation, tertiary degrees and a career built in that name.

3. I have sooo many accounts, insurances, registrations and records in that name. It's an administrative nightmare getting those changed over.

4. I feel like its expected of me and I can't see why it really matters except for ease of reference or identification as DH's wife.

In saying that, I will probably still do it next financial year when I have a whole year to get things sorted before tax time. Maybe!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    To those that have kept their names, but their DH hasn't changed theirs.

Do you have a collective name you're referenced as? We're known as the '*****s' in most of our circles.
    This is a problem we've had with girls brigade, because we have children there with two different surnames, and my surname is different again - and none of us want to be referred to by someone elses surname.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    This is a problem we've had with girls brigade, because we have children there with two different surnames, and my surname is different again - and none of us want to be referred to by someone elses surname.
    We were alway 'The ****ys' (mums surname), which irked me because it wasn't my surname. She loathed being called Mrs. [our surname].

My FIL is remarried, but MIL has retained the surname, she says because it's awesome, because her kids and grandkids all have it (except for 1/18) and it's been her name for more than half her life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    People usually use our actual names when talking about us collectively. We'll never be "the XYZs" anyway because DD will always have a different surname to me... she has her father's surname and though she wants to change it to mine, I cannot do it without her father's permission (or by some lengthy, potentially costly process I'm yet to full understand).