+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I married I took my husbands name which I dislike we had two children and of course they had the same name. Fast forward we had been separated since 2004 and divorced 2008/9 I kept his surname as its my children's they hate it as well (they are 10 and 11) and on more than one occasion they have asked to change it to my maiden name as they are very close to my father (whereas their own father has avoided them like the plague but it's probably for the best as he is on drugs and it was a dv relationship) I have of course wanted to go back to my maiden name but I feel for the kids and I know for a fact as soon as they are old enough they will change it them self! I myself also don't want to keep changing my name as I've met someone and it might be serious however if we marry I'd have to take his name arrrgh!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Yup and I am still the same me no matter what my name is. A name doesn't define someone and to me if he is good enough to marry he is good enough to take his name.
    What I'm getting at, is that it's not about pushing a strong woman agenda - that comment doesn't make any sense. If I keep MY name, it's because it's mine. I'm not trying to prove a point or push an agenda. I'm just keeping *my* name.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleerose View Post
    When I married I took my husbands name which I dislike we had two children and of course they had the same name. Fast forward we had been separated since 2004 and divorced 2008/9 I kept his surname as its my children's they hate it as well (they are 10 and 11) and on more than one occasion they have asked to change it to my maiden name as they are very close to my father (whereas their own father has avoided them like the plague but it's probably for the best as he is on drugs and it was a dv relationship) I have of course wanted to go back to my maiden name but I feel for the kids and I know for a fact as soon as they are old enough they will change it them self! I myself also don't want to keep changing my name as I've met someone and it might be serious however if we marry I'd have to take his name arrrgh!
    Just a word of warning, if they wait until their 18 to change it, they'll still be associated to that name and may not change it even if they want to because of the hassle. I wish my mum had changed mine when I was about 11-12, but she too said that I'd just do it myself. I now won't change it simply because I'd still be called Sam xxxxxx by everyone I know and its a huge pain to change all my ID and accounts etc. I figure marriage will do it for me eventually.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd take on my partner's surname if it was unbelievably freaking awesome, like Wolfsblood or Destructo. How could I not?

His surname isn't that awesome, sadly, and I like my surname better than his so I'm keeping mine.

DD has my partner's surname with mine as one of her middle names. I would have liked her to have mine but he's the stay-at-home parent who takes her to all of her appointments so we figured it would make things easier. Plus the given name we picked goes better with his surname than mine. Next baby, though, will be a WombatQueen!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    No, I was addressing your comment about the answer being in whose name your child has (I don't really see how that matters...).

Anyway. My youngest has my surname, my eldest has DH's.

I suppose I have little respect for the tradition, given its roots. Each to their own.
    Why I asked is because most people give their children the fathers surname yet don't take it for themselves. So in some ways they follow some type of tradition by doing that and I think it's easy to see why alot of women then choose to change their names also. The question wasn't just for you, it was more a general observation of what most people do, hence the respect part of the tradition (which was your initial question)

I think the roots of taking on the males surname has alot more to do with than just 'property' It wasn't that simple.
    And regardless of that, alot of people still see a surname as a family name. When you get married your primary family is no longer your parents and siblings, it's your children and husband. So when you give your children their fathers name by following tradition, it's only natural to also have the same family name. To me, that's the purpose of a surname and probably why alot of women choose to change it no matter what it sounds like. Not everyone feels defined by their surname or feels like property by changing it so I don't see why it becomes such a big deal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing I don't get is that many women in this thread have said that the surname isn't a big deal. If that's the case why don't more men take on their wife's surname?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EvilWombatQueen For This Useful Post:

T 800  (20-05-2012),Witwicky  (20-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Why I asked is because most people give their children the fathers surname yet don't take it for themselves. So in some ways they follow some type of tradition by doing that and I think it's easy to see why alot of women then choose to change their names also. The question wasn't just for you, it was more a general observation of what most people do, hence the respect part of the tradition (which was your initial question)

I think the roots of taking on the males surname has alot more to do with than just 'property' It wasn't that simple.
    And regardless of that, alot of people still see a surname as a family name. When you get married your primary family is no longer your parents and siblings, it's your children and husband. So when you give your children their fathers name by following tradition, it's only natural to also have the same family name. To me, that's the purpose of a surname and probably why alot of women choose to change it no matter what it sounds like. Not everyone feels defined by their surname or feels like property by changing it so I don't see why it becomes such a big deal.
    Actually, (inheritance issues aside) the roots *are* about property and the act of transferring the woman from her father to her husband like a piece of baggage.

The issue is that this patriarchal tradition remains - if your points ring true, males would change their name as well, but this doesn't happen a great deal. Majority of women give up their name and many are pressured to do so even if they don't want to.

I also don't agree with women having specific titles to indicate whether they are married or not, but that's for another thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post

I don't think most people still give their kids their fathers surname. It seems to be becomming more and more of a trend for children to have their mothers name regardless of the parents relationship status.

Personally I wouldn't have a different name to my kids and I wouldn't get married and change my last name either. I think a lot of other women feel this way as well.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm going to take DPs surname purely for comsetic reasons.
    A) I love it. It's so much nicer than mine
    B) my last name was changed when I was 11, and I only wanted to d it to have the same last name as my brothers. When we have kids they'll have Ander.sson and I'll want the same last name as them
    C) my favourite girls name sounds terrible with my surname by lovely with DPs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not changing it partly because of feminist reasons already listed in this thread, but also because of my career. I've been published under my maiden name and it's a total pain in the *** to go on to then publish under a different name. In fact, nearly all the female colleagues I know who are married have not changed their maiden names, and some of them are in their 40's and 50's. It's become such a norm to me to NOT change your name that I was sort of stunned when a friend did recently. I totally thought it was dying out!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (20-05-2012),Witwicky  (20-05-2012)