+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Cheap Recipes without the overuse of pasta, potato and rice?

Anyone got any to share? I just looked over the budget recipe sticky but it's full of pasta... and potatoes and rice. lol.

Anyone got some great cheap recipes without using those?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i add red lentils to all my mince recipes to spread the mince out a bit (makes it healthier too)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry but what do you use as the starch component of the meal if you don't use rice, pasta, or potato? I'm wracking my brain and the only other thing I can think of is bread, but it is not something I would like to use on a regular basis.

Perhaps a simply quiche - it has some flour but is mainly egg.
    I might not be completely right with my memory of the recipe but I think it is as follows.
    Note - you use the tin the evaporated milk came in as the measure for all the other incredients.

* one tin evaporated milk
    * ½ tin fresh milk
    * 1½ tin four (SR I think)
    * ½ tin cheese (grated)
    * ½ tin filling (veges, chicken, meat, whatever you like. I prefered to use a full tin, but the recipe stated ½)
    * 4 large or 6 small eggs (I'm not sure about this number but I think I have it right)

Mix it all together and put in a dish to bake in the oven.
    I really don't remember cooking temperate and time, but I would estimate 180° for 45 minutes.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 19-05-2012 at 10:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    ^^^ quiche is good and cheap family meal.

In summer I make salads with lettuce, grated carrot, tomato & tinned mixed beans, either tin of tuna or a chick schnitzel ($2.50 each) chopped on top (2 spread over 3 serves) thats cheap if you make one tuna and one chicken during the week so you can use the one lot of salad. (i love woolies select ranch dressing on top)

Spinach and riccotta pie is cheapish. I think it usually costs me about $10. But I buy cheese regularly & pastry is always in the freezer.

its 100grams riccotta,
    100grams fetta (whichever is cheapest)
    100grams tasty,
    packet of frozen spinach defrosted and drained,
    1 chopped red onion
    1 egg. Mix.
    Puff pastry in pie dish. Dump cheese on top. Another sheet of puff. Bake till pastry is golden. Serve with salad/veg hot or cold.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Stir fries with lots of crunchy veggies and served with noodles and a basic marinade is pretty cheap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh or I have a cool bean & chorizo stew - it has a couple of potatos, but it has half a potato per serve. It just thickens it up really.

2 potatos
    2 long bacon rashers
    2 chorizos
    1 tin lentils
    1 tin chick peas
    1 tin red kidney beans
    1 tin tomatoes.
    1 onion
    - optional - mix frozen veg.

Chop finely chorizo & bacon and onion - fry - dump in beans & tomato. Cook. Meanwhile boil quartered potatos. Throw in potatos. And veg.

Serve - optionally with a poached egg.

Left overs freeze well

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh or roast veg with rosemary and garlic. No meat, just a plate a roast pumpkin, carrot, onion, squash & whatever else is cheap. Green it up with a couple of steamed broccoli. I love it with soya mayo

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Chilli con Carne (serve with veggies instead of carbs)

Stirfry

Corn fritters

Corn & zucchini fritters

Soups (veggie, chicken & corn, pumpkin)

Home made pizza (use pita breads as base)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

2BabyBears  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Fish tacos
    Chicken enchiladas
    San choy bow
    Lamb/falafel wraps ( mountain bread)
    Lentil soup
    Red onion and goats cheese tarts ( puff pastry)
    Fish or crab cakes with salad
    Fish or chicken strips with salad or stir fry veggies
    Moussaka
    Prawn omelets

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could do a big batch of curry. I use thigh chicken when it's on special for about $7 a kilo and just add whatever veggies we have/are on special.
    1. Fry off some onion and garlic with either curry powder or some curry paste (if you have it)
    2. Add chicken pieces and fry til browned
    3. Add roughly chopped veg (carrot, eggplant, zucchini) and a tin of chick peas/lentils and fry til evenly coated in curry/garlic/onion mix
    4. Add enough chicken stock/water to cover ingredients
    5. Simmer over low heat until veg is cooked and liquid has begun to thicken, (I allow about 45 mins to an hour) add a small tin of coconut milk and simmer for another 10-15 mins.
    6. I generally serve with some baby spinach or Asian greens mixed through towards the end to soften them. I like it with hot, fresh baked bread rolls or fresh sliced bread but you could leave that out and it's still very filling.

You could also use beef or lamb if it's cheaper/available but I prefer chicken. You'd have to add at least an extra hour to soften up a cheap cut of meat though..or you could just whack it all in the slow cooker and leave it for 5-6 hours :-)