+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Another toilet training question

DD is almost 23mths, and has been showing what I think are signs of wanting to TT for a few months now.

She wants to sit on the toilet/ potty.
    She says "I do wee!" or "I do poo!" whenever she does one.
    She says "Nappy time" as soon as she has done anything in her nappy, and wants it changed straight away.
    Her nappy is dry for long periods of time and then suddenly wet.

We've had a few days here and there where we've left her undressed on the bottom half and put her on the potty every 15mins. Sometimes she goes on it, but more often she goes on the floor.

This morning she refused to have a nappy on, so I thought I'd try again. Reminded her about the potty every 15mins or so.

Suddenly she said "Oh no! I do wees!" So I reminded her to sit on the potty, and she did. Then she stood up and went on the floor next to it! And then sat down again on the potty.

I know that's just one incident, but I'm a bit confused as to whether or not she is ready to TT. She seems to want to - but then once she has no nappy on, she forgets all about it and doesn't care. But she doesn't like going to the toilet in her nappy any more. Ermm...

Not sure I'm explaining it too well.. Anyone know what I mean???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would say go for it
    There are always going to be accidents while TT, soooo frustrating though! Mine have just turned 3 and still aren't night trained, and wore undies to preschool for the first time yesterday. (They usually get excited and forget to go so I send pull ups) Going to have to work on that.

If you start and it's just not a happening thing you will know and you can always stop and come back to it later

4. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What kind of early indicators do you look for to know if it's going to happen?

The couple of times I've kind of started (and only for one afternoon/ morning at a time), I've not felt like she's 'got it' as she will still wee on the floor quite happily.

But then she'll be in her nappy saying "I go on toilet" - and it makes me think she wants to do it. But I take the nappy off and she'll go on the floor...

The problem is that we are out for a lot of most days. She has things like playgroup and gymnastics, and then we go out a lot the rest of the time. So if we're going to really go for it then I'd have to wipe out a week and make her miss everything. And I'm just worried about doing that if it's too soon and she's not really ready.

So how do you know, once you've started, if you should continue or if you should stop?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds like she has all the language but just needs to learn how it all works in practice.

I think what you're doing sounds good. Remind her regularly but without overwhelming her. Sticker charts worked really well for me. I engaged her in the making of it and let her choose the stickers to use.

Another thing I did was just accept that accidents will happen and go with it. Try not to over react if she wees on the floor. Say something like 'oh dear. Next time let's try to do it in the potty'. You don't want her to be worried about it.

Good luck! It's hard work but they get there in the end!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It absolutely sounds like she's ready to me! I wouldn't leave it any longer - I believe in the theory that if you leave it too late (especially with a smart kid like yours) they get more and more used to the nappy and start to refuse/resist TT.

My starting suggestions: buying her "big girl undies (possibly training pants or whatever undies she loves at the shops) and saying goodbye to the nappies for awake-times. Seriously it's not that hard to have a bucket in the laundry for all the wet undies and get her a dry one each time she has an accident, and I think it's beneficial to ditch the nappies entirely. Try sitting her on the toilet really regularly (I started with hourly with my DS) and praising her/stickers when she does something in the loo. Read books about weeing in the loo/potty. Don't make a big deal about accidents, just say "whoops! Accident on the floor, oh dear" and clean it up.

I must admit with DS I used to put him in nappies when we went out to shops/etc to start off with. But I wasn't aiming for a week-long TT anyway, I think that's unrealistic.
    Last edited by Piffle; 19-05-2012 at 12:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    P.S. Not sure if I was clear about the undies - I found putting DS in undies rather than leaving rudey nudey was better cause he and I were both more likely to notice him beginning to wee (wet spot!) and whisk him off to the toilet before it got on the floor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    It absolutely sounds like she's ready to me! I wouldn't leave it any longer - I believe in the theory that if you leave it too late (especially with a smart kid like yours) they get more and more used to the nappy and start to refuse/resist TT.

My starting suggestions: buying her "big girl undies (possibly training pants or whatever undies she loves at the shops) and saying goodbye to the nappies for awake-times. Seriously it's not that hard to have a bucket in the laundry for all the wet undies and get her a dry one each time she has an accident, and I think it's beneficial to ditch the nappies entirely. Try sitting her on the toilet really regularly (I started with hourly with my DS) and praising her/stickers when she does something in the loo. Read books about weeing in the loo/potty. Don't make a big deal about accidents, just say "whoops! Accident on the floor, oh dear" and clean it up.

I must admit with DS I used to put him in nappies when we went out to shops/etc to start off with. But I wasn't aiming for a week-long TT anyway, I think that's unrealistic.
    Agree fully. DD is 21mths and has been day TT for last 2-3mths.