+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Non viable pregnancy - no bleeding - lots of pain

Hi,

Hubby and I have been trying for a baby for over a year. (we have 3 older children already - 15, 14 and 10). My cycle is irregular - between 30 and 36 days each time. On day 43 (Sunday) we did a digital pregnancy test which very clearly said "Pregnant"!! We were over the moon! As there are 2 tests in the pack I ran another one on Monday - just to get that 'yes I'm pregnant' feeling again- this time the test said negative. I bought another pack the following day, but again this said negative. I rang the doctor - who said that she thought that this was an early loss - she rang the hospital on my behalf and they also said that they thought i was no longer pregnant. They refused to scan me. The doctor said If I wanted they could run a blood test to confirm that i was not pregnant. I opted to have the test.

On Wednesday lunchtime I got the results back which were <2 - so very clearly no longer pregnant. When I spoke to the doctor on Tuesday she said that I should expect to start bleeding within a couple of days. I am still not bleeding now. BUT I am in sooo much pain. Not low down - more around my waist line - a bit like extreme IBS pain. I cant sleep because of it.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I am in the UK so the systems are different - but i have been told next to nothing of what to expect - not even had a name given to what i am going through. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Hun, I'm so sorry for your loss sending you lots of hugs

It sounds like you may have had a chemical pregnancy although sorry I'm not a doctor, from my own experience I had a very heavy bleed and contraction like craping, back then I had a 32day cycle and I miscarried 5 days after my positive pregnancy test, my hcg levels from the blood test showed a similar result as yours. If you do not have any bleeding soon I would be going to the doctors again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so very sorry for your loss .

This is happening to me now as well. But it seems that I am just starting to bleed. It has been two weeks since I got that positive hpt and watched it fade to nothing over a week. I also had quite severe pain but it is better now.

Wait it out another couple of weeks, your AF should arrive by then.

It sucks doesn't it

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep it sure does!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, sorry to hear, I know how disappointing it is...
    I miscarried about 6 weeks ago @ 6 weeks pregnant - mine was a little different as we are going through ivf, got the call from thr nurses and I was positive hcg 135 and then up to 829, the week I was 829 started bleeding dark blood then red with lining too :-(
    The day after all the blood the contraction cramps started, the dr said it was just my body contracting back! The day the bleeding started I went to hospital & hcg was tested and down to 56, then two days after that hcg14.7, a week later hcg 2<
    I'd imagine you should have some bleeding... If you don't but are still in pain maybe go to emergency as after my m/c they sent me to the early pregnancy loss centre and they scanned me to make sure there was 'no products'( in their terminology)
    Before my scan they said if I have smelly discharge or much pain to go back because I could need a d&c...
    As mentioned above I'd even suggest chemical pregnancy but not sure about the pain?!

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2012
    IVF ICSI ANTAGONIST
    BFP - but sadly miscarried @ 6 weeks.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry for your loss.

I've had a silent miscarriage where bubby died in the 9th week but I didn't show any signs of the loss til i got some brown spotting in the 10th week. I had a D&C to "remove the contents of pregnancy".

I would return to the doctor and report the severe pain. It might be your body miscarrying but you want to rule out infection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your comments. It has been a week now since the positive test. 6 days since the first negative. The pain has subsided a lot now, but I'm still not bleeding. - Maybe it was just IBS? (Never been doubled up in pain with that before though)

The doctor said she would phone me on Tuesday evening to see how I am, so if there is still no bleeding by then, I will ask for more advice.

I have found it strange that the doctor and hospital have not wanted to see me at all and there has been a real lack of compassion. Having spoken to friends who have been in similar circumstances this appears to be the norm in the UK!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have started bleeding today. I would be 7 weeks plus 4. I suppose that means it wasn't a chemical pregnancy - but is a missed miscarriage (even though I didn't actually miss it)

I'm quite scared. What should I expect? I suppose the baby died at 5 weeks....so it will be tiny. Will I see it?

I would appreciate some advice - I can't ask anyone - it sounds callus and gross - but I need to know.

Hope you understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by profmumof 3 View Post
    I have started bleeding today. I would be 7 weeks plus 4. I suppose that means it wasn't a chemical pregnancy - but is a missed miscarriage (even though I didn't actually miss it)

I'm quite scared. What should I expect? I suppose the baby died at 5 weeks....so it will be tiny. Will I see it?

I would appreciate some advice - I can't ask anyone - it sounds callus and gross - but I need to know.

Hope you understand.
    You won't see it love, I miscarried @ 6 weeks & I was kinda trying to look for it in my messed up state.... I couldn't work it out?! It will be like a very heavy period, I had no pain just lots of blood and tissue/clots.....
    The pain started the next day, only lasted a min a few times throughout the day... The dr told me it was contractions your uterus starts to contract back & because the baby (placenta) was attached to the blood vessel, as the blood vessel closes back over, that to starts contracting!
    The pain is okay but if you can't bare it go to emergency, they told me if my discharge had a stench to go straight back as that can cause an infection!! Also have a couple more blood tests to confirm hcg has gone... The hospital referred me to the early pregnancy loss centre and they did an internal to confirm there was no products (in their terms) left... I was confirmed to have had a completed miscarriage

Sorry you have to go through this! X

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2012
    IVF ICSI ANTAGONIST

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry the smell doesn't cause an infection - it cam be the sign of infection!!

Hope it's as pain free as possible... I guess everybody is different

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2012
    IVF ICSI ANTAGONIST