+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to manage a two week separation from baby at 10 weeks

My wife has to head away (overseas) on a work trip when our newborn will be approx 10wks old, and be gone about 2 weeks. It is an important trip for her work but she is worried about it how it may affect the baby.

The things we are worried about:
    - Baby is presently fed from breast and bottle (not enough milk), would like to continue this when she returns so she will take a breast pump with her to "pump and dump" to continue milk stimulation - we hope baby will latch on still when she returns?
    - Will baby stress about not having mum around (I - Dad - will take time off work and look after baby 247).

Thanks
    Reviews
    It quite possible will be the end of her breastfed ding relationship especially if she already has milk supply issues, I personally would be worried about the psychological end bonding effects but that's just me.
    Unfortunately you won't really know how everyone will cope until your in the situation

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auntyamber For This Useful Post:

HopefulDad  (02-06-2012),trishalishous  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd get your wife to call the ABA to get advice on how to keep up supply. I'm sure there will be a way and they should be able to help.

As for the bonding, what a fabulous opportunity for you to have some direct one on one bonding time with your baby! 10 weeks is such a great age as well as they start to interact so much, you'll love it! It's no different to parents who work FIFO and they manage to have great relationships with their children. Hopefully someone in that position can give you some advice as well.

It might be worth having lots of pictures of mum, getting her to record her voice to play at nighttime and also using Skype. You'd be surprised what 10 week old babies respond to.

Have fun spending that time alone with bubs :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

HopefulDad  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    any chance of you and bub going along too? that way she'd still get to nurse bub before/after her work commitments.

My DH came along to a conference I had when DD was a few months old. yes it was only interstate but I didnt want to risk losing my supply. I fed DD whenever I could between meetings. plus the nursing all night kept the milk up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have any advice to add but I will say that your DW is so brave to be able to leave her baby for 2 weeks. I got separation anxiety when I went to work for just a few hours, and it was at night so she didn't even notice unless DP had to give her feed before I got back LOL. I hope you enjoy every moment with your baby

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cashahn For This Useful Post:

HopefulDad  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My golly gosh I wouldn't be able to do that. It would have killed me. I second the previous poster's suggestion - if u're going to be off work anyway can't you go with her? Baby would fly free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Im sorry I'm going to be blunt. It will be difficult to continue to breastfeed when she returns.. its probably possible though but not easy. Definitely call the ABA. and it will be difficult for the baby for their mother to be away. There will be some real sadness and confusion. Babies are naturally very attached to their mother at that young age usually. Also two weeks is like a life time to a baby that age.. I have a friend who underwent major surgery and was away from her baby around this age and it was extremely hard for mum and baby.
    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I just say congratulations. I just logged on after a couple of months to see all turned out well for you and your wife having read an earlier post. I breast and bottle fed for about 15 weeks due to supply issues. Not sure what bottles you use but with my dd i wanted to breast feed but have a medical problem that forced the decision to use formula and breast. My daughter moved beautifully between breast and bottle I used the tommy tippee and they are designed to replicate a mothers breast. And I only fed her on the breast once a day. Good luck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bluebutterfly74 For This Useful Post:

HopefulDad  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    Im sorry I'm going to be blunt. It will be difficult to continue to breastfeed when she returns.. its probably possible though but not easy. Definitely call the ABA. and it will be difficult for the baby for their mother to be away. There will be some real sadness and confusion. Babies are naturally very attached to their mother at that young age usually. Also two weeks is like a life time to a baby that age.. I have a friend who underwent major surgery and was away from her baby around this age and it was extremely hard for mum and baby.
    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    I agree with this. Is this your first baby? If so then I would think your DW will really struggle being away for that long from such a young baby. Bubs will have you at home (great time for you!) but she'll be in her own...and so far away if it's OS!! Is your DW already back at work and therefore obliged to attend?

Pumping is not as efficient as a baby at draining the breast either, so I'd also suggest calling the ABA for supply tips, since she's gone for so long. Good luck and enjoy the time with your baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Apologies for not getting back sooner ... busy!

In the end we pulled the pin on the O/S travel. There were several reasons other than the baby but it was an important factor and in the end it was decided it wasn't worth it for both personal and professional reasons.

Instead we're off on a family holiday in a couple of weeks. That'll be challenging enough with a 5yo and a 2mo old but at least we'll all be together!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HopefulDad For This Useful Post:

mim1  (02-06-2012)