+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting time off for doctor's appointments and scans when in first trimester...

Just wondering how you keep this under wraps from your boss while you're getting tests/scans done a lot over a short period of time. What do you say? How do you ask for the time off for these regular tests?

It's too early to tell people at work...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I told my boss at 4 weeks so it would make things easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey,

i told my manager after the first couple of appointments because she started getting worried. i was saying i had doc appointments and blood tests ect. when i noticed she was getting a bit worried i told her and she helped me with excuses to tell everyone else so it didnt look so sus! she was great. I think it is a great idea to tell your manager or boss just so they understand that your okay and your not be a slacker. If you ask them to - they will keep it nice and quiet until your ready to tell people.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    try to organize them on RDO's or on whatever you usually do. I finish work early on Tues and start late on thurs so all my appts are on those days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just been saying I have a doctor's appointment. I have just moved to a new team recently so I'm still getting to know everyone so I don't get any questions yet, but if I do I will be saying it is follow up appointments from the surgery I had a few months ago. If I start to get morning sickness though then I will be telling my boss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Must admit I told my boss early at 5 weeks for this reason, and also because I thought if I start getting MS I wanted them to know the reason why I had to get going fast!! But they were good at keeping it hush and no one else knew till after 12 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I worked for a doctor when I was pregnant with the first two so no time off needed. One of the perks of the job

Thanks
    Reviews
    I told my boss when I was 6 weeks ... I was having terrible MS and had a bit of time off ... I had only been working there for a few months ... He has been very supportive the whole way through .. I've recently had to drop a day because of back pain and he was fine with it ( I think it helps when they are older and have kids of their own lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I told my boss early, and she already suspected something was up with me anyway I have a pretty active job and she noticed that I had slowed down a bit.

It was actually really good for her to know, she lightened up my work load and put me on the quieter shifts. I work the weekends so getting time off during the week for appointments was never an issue but I'm still glad I kept her in the loop

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made all my appointments as late in the day as possible and just did a 7-3 day etc. Work is really flexible like that which is lucky! Also my work is kind of crazy so used excess hours to finish early/take days off.

Didn't have to fess up to my boss until 11 weeks - and that was only because he was going on leave for 2 weeks and we planned to tell people at 12 weeks so out of respect wanted him to know first rather than risk hearing it on the grapevine...