+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help - Need dinner idea's for a sick household!

I have been really sick with the influenza virus and now have a secondary infection and bad asthma. Oh, and possibly bruised stomach muscles from coughing so badly. Plus DD1 and DD3 have come down with it now as well.

I'm after any receipes for dinners that are nice to eat when you aren't feeling well. Nothing too heavy.

I need to send DH out to the shops tomorrow. Things that I can either organise this weekend and freeze or things that are reasonably easy to cook as I don't feel up to doing much at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    How about cooking a soup and freezing it? Split pea
    And ham is good and easy. Can hubby do the cooking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pumpkin soup
    Vegetable soup
    Slow Cooker meals
    Vegie Fritters
    Risotto

Vegemite toast

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Soups in the slow cooker?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We're all sick here (except DD), so I just made frozen pizza. lol. I can't be stuffed making anything that requires anything more than switching on the oven and chucking it in.

A chunky soup with some dumplings or bread would be easy enough... and you can make heaps so you just serve it up several times over hte next few days...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, yeah has anyone got any nice receipes or links to ones they know are nice?

Yep, hubby can do the cooking this weekend. Just not during the week as he's home too late. He's an ok cook as long as I tell him what to make and give a receipe.

So, slow cooker or minimum effort things for at least the first couple of days next week. Hopefully I might feel better by then.

Was thinking soups of some kind. Or any other ideas?

DD1 was actually helping with the cooking but now she's really sick too. I tried to say dinner was toast the other day but DD2 and DD3 freaked out because its not dinner. LOL Now, though probably only DD2 and DH will care.

Any links for receipes or ideas for what to search for appreciated as I just can't think straight at the moment.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    2 min noodles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd go a slow cooker chicken noddles soup just google a recipe always makes me feel better when sick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    We're all sick here (except DD), so I just made frozen pizza. lol. I can't be stuffed making anything that requires anything more than switching on the oven and chucking it in.

A chunky soup with some dumplings or bread would be easy enough... and you can make heaps so you just serve it up several times over hte next few days...
    I know, I don't feel like cooking. To be honest I would prefer to just lay here and eat nothing. I don't care. But I know that wouldn't be good for any of us.

That's why I need ideas to get DH cooking this weekend. Yeah, maybe 2 big pots of soup or something so it's not the same thing too many days in a row.

I wish I could do frozen pizzas but DD2 can't handle the cheese on them. Might get DH to grab some bases though and get DD2 to throw everything on them for me though one night. Actually maybe some garlic bread would do us good too.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok - pumpkin soup you need some diced bacon, onion, pumpkin, potato or sweet potato and some spices to taste. Chop it all up, boil it til it's much then blend it.

Chicken noodle soup - bacon, onion, sliced chicken bits, salt and pepper to taste, some chicken stock. Boil it up, and close to serving time, grab some pasta and throw it in. Serve when the pasta is cooked.

Spaghetti Bolognaise is easy and good to freeze but if you're all coughing, then perhaps tomato based sauces aren't good due to the acidic nature of tomatoes. But, if you were do make a bolognaise sauce and use it for a pasta bake with pasta and white sauce and cheese, it might be mild enough not to hurt your throats.

and hugs to you and yours. Hope you feel better soon.