+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Could this be Anxiety?

I have an appointment in 2 weeks (wanted a lady Doc so have to wait)
    Because I think I may be Suffering from some form of Anxiety!

So heres a list of how I feel general day to day:

~Stressed ALOT (even just taking DD food shopping)
    ~Tight tension across my shoulders/neck
    ~Blurred eye sight not fuzzy but glassy!
    ~mood swings
    ~irritated by small things
    ~constant thinking/going over and over things
    ~worry what others think of me
    ~feeling fed up and unforfilled in life
    ~numb towards people I care about except DD.its as if all my love and happiness come from/for her.
    I have at times felt tinggly and strange like Im goibg to faint (only ever fainted once)

The problem is I can't find a trigger I can't tell you why I feel this way like today is not overly stressed a little boring actually but I still have the tight shoulders and blur vision and feel blaa and just fed up

Its like a dark cloud is blocking me from true happiness iykwim??
    I dont know how to put this across to a doctor I dont feel depressed I love my family and enjoy my job!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had anxiety on and off, severe and mild, since childhood. In my opinion some of your symptoms do sound like you're suffering from anxiety, absolutely. The "constant thinking, going over and over things" is the main one that sticks out to me.. when I find myself obsessing over something, usually a small trigger (like the other day I read a book about a mum who had killed her children and being pregnant it made me very anxious and depressed and for days it's all I could think about), I know I need to take a step back and assess my thinking pattern/reactions. But I've had counselling for it and have been taught how to overcome it and recognise the early symptoms, so when I do start obsessing about a certain thing I can use what I've been taught to let go of the anxiety. It's still a huge effort!
    And also the constant worry about what others think about you, that's a big one with me and if I let the negative thoughts and self dialogue overwhelm me my depression sets in.
    There are so many different types of anxiety conditions and mood disorders and also various treatment options; you are taking the first step towards recovery by speaking to someone and acknowledging that there may be a problem, so take it from there. Your doctor will know what to do.
    You're not alone, millions of people suffer with some level of anxiety at some point in their lives and it is very treatable.
    Also, anxiety can and does manifest itself into physical symptoms as well, such as the vision problems and (I get the same when I have extreme anxiety, coupled with a very surreal out of body feeling, like I can't remember where I am all of a sudden and feel like everything is spinning) also the neck and shoulder tension.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 18-05-2012 at 17:08.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

babybumblebee  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it does sound like anxiety. My DH gets it, but isn't nearly as bad as he was when with his ex (and in the aftermath of their break-up). When we started dating he was on antidepressants, which I really hated as they were the type that do terrible things to you (Effexor), but he has now weaned off them and is doing great.

I strongly recommend you try counselling/breathing techniques/etc. and try and avoid taking drugs; it can be controllable without medication, you just need to find the right way for you to deal with it. Hopefully your GP or a counsellor will be able to assist you in this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sariele For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    So is it possible to be constantly anxious because I feel like this a lot and I can't seem to pull myself out of it. I would say I have felt like this for months but lately its becoming overwhelming and constant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post
    Yes it does sound like anxiety. My DH gets it, but isn't nearly as bad as he was when with his ex (and in the aftermath of their break-up). When we started dating he was on antidepressants, which I really hated as they were the type that do terrible things to you (Effexor), but he has now weaned off them and is doing great.

I strongly recommend you try counselling/breathing techniques/etc. and try and avoid taking drugs; it can be controllable without medication, you just need to find the right way for you to deal with it. Hopefully your GP or a counsellor will be able to assist you in this.
    Can you please explain what you mean by Effexor doing terrible things?? And where did you get that info? I know someone who is taking that! What terrible things???

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could be suffering anxiety and or depression. I've been through it too and it's just awful.
    I didn't need medication and worked with a psychologist on 'mindfulness' therapy. You can google lots of things on that. It really helps me. But doesn't completely solve my anxiety when I get panic attacks.
    You have two weeks til you see your doctor? Will you get a mental health plan so you can see a psych or is that a psych?
    In the meantime you could try some apps that deal with anxiety through relaxing and 'hypnosis'. Which is really just deep relaxation not the weird stuff you see on tv. I have a few on my iPhone and I put it on to listen to at night or when I'm really anxious. It's just breathing techniques etc.
    Anyway... I hope you feel better soon. Hugs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could be suffering from stress and just need some techniques on how to deal with it. A doctor can give treatment but I find they don't have the time to do a proper diagnosis and without the proper support the medication they often dispense is just a bandaid fix. Ask for a referral to a phycologist as some forms of anxiety and stress can be overcome without the need for drugs and it's about learning how to deal with stress for life. Hope things improve for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    Can you please explain what you mean by Effexor doing terrible things?? And where did you get that info? I know someone who is taking that! What terrible things???
    Don't panic, I don't think any of it is long-term health risks if that's what you were thinking. I got the info mostly from word-of-mouth from other people who have taken it. My DH experienced horrible anxiety if he missed just one dose, and occasionally experienced the following documented side effects: blurred vision, decreased sexual desire or ability, drowsiness, increased sweating, and stomach upset.

The worst is the withdrawal; DH wasn't too bad as he was careful how he weaned off it, but still suffered a bit. However, I have heard people talk about how their emotional and physical symptoms came on ten times worse than they were before even taking Effexor once they came off it, and it was one of the worst things they've ever endured.

Forgive me, but I hate the thought of "medications" that do things like this to people, when in many cases they were completely unnecessary to start with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the medication being used to treat anxiety.. personally, I have never used any.. but that's just me. For others it can be their only salvation.
    I've heard things like increased depression/anxiety resulting in some types, as well as suicidal thoughts, so I did kind of panic when I read the reply that mentioned Effexor. The person i know who is on has recently switched from Lexapro to it, and they are experincing extreme sympotoms when they don't take their dose first thing upon waking (dizziness, mood swings, exhaustion) which is a worry..
    I think some people have to try a number of medications (if medication is the route they choose) to figure out what works for them.

OP, you asked if anxiety can be there all the time.. yes. When I had it at my worst about 6 years ago, it was chronic and was "there" 24/7. I couldn't eat or sleep, was barely functioning; this is when I sought help. I'm happy to say that I got better, with the help of a really good counsellor who taught some cognitive "tricks". I still struggle occasionally, but have been given the tools to be able to recognise and manage my anxiety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, you asked if anxiety can be there all the time.. yes. When I had it at my worst about 6 years ago, it was chronic and was "there" 24/7. I couldn't eat or sleep, was barely functioning; this is when I sought help. I'm happy to say that I got better, with the help of a really good counsellor who taught some cognitive "tricks". I still struggle occasionally, but have been given the tools to be able to recognise and manage my anxiety.[/QUOTE]
    Thankyou
    I honestly do feel like I need help to clear the gloomy feeling before I can learn to control this as I dont even know why i feel this way.

I was hoping the doctor could gove me a referal and some medication to help me on the way to feeling better if thatakes sense