+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Learning difficulties

Sorry if this is in the wrong section? Please move if it is!
    My DSD who is about to turn 5 and is going to kindergarten 3 days a week has just been put into a special group at school for slow learners...

She struggles with a lot of things such as recognizing letters and numbers - she can recognize by sight A B S M W X & practically no numbers except 3 & 8.

She can count to 30, with help & a few mistakes.

She can't count objects properly, like max she can count without making a mistake is 5.

She knows her colours very well, but if you ask her to count the green squares that are drawn on a page with other things that are black & white she doesn't understand what you are asking of her.

She doesn't understand more then 2 "commands" linked together, like can you please pick up the red ball and put it on the bench then sit at the table. She will pick the ball up then either sit at the table or just put it on the bench.

Wit trying to help her write, she kind of just scribbles. She can't trace a letter with her finger, she'll either just trace down or kind of circle the letter with her finger.

She can't blow her nose, I've tried everything to explain & show how to blow OUT her nose and not sniff it back in but she doesn't seem to understand.

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to help her learn at home? Or even if you have any suggestions in general!
    We try and work with her whenever we have her but we only have her part time so it's really hard.
    I hate seeing her struggle

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to work in special Ed, so I have some things that you can use to help her. However, she is quite young, & at this age I wonder if that is part of why she has not grasped some concepts? Of course, being stimulated it vital - will/does her mother play with her & teach her stuff? If you PM me your e-mail, I can send you some resources I have made & see what specific stuff you are after. Also, has she ever seen an OT for an assessment?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wickedly Happy For This Useful Post:

AppleIsleSMum  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedly Happy View Post
    I used to work in special Ed, so I have some things that you can use to help her. However, she is quite young, & at this age I wonder if that is part of why she has not grasped some concepts? Of course, being stimulated it vital - will/does her mother play with her & teach her stuff? If you PM me your e-mail, I can send you some resources I have made & see what specific stuff you are after. Also, has she ever seen an OT for an assessment?
    We really aren't too sure on how much/if any teaching play is done with her at her mums house. Her mum was quite shocked when the teacher told her, but we had noticed that she is a little behind with only slightly comparing her to friends children her age.
    The teacher also said she doesn't hardly talk at school which is a bit odd as normally once she gets to know a new routine/place she settles in ok.

Another thing I've noticed is that when she paints or drawers its just allot of colours, as in she doesn't paint a yellow circle for a sun, or really struggles to draw a face. Weve done quite a bit of practice doing just a plain circle but she struggles to either stop once it's roughly a circle or stops way too short.
    Sorry just trying to give some more examples!

Will send you a pm! Would love some more helpful info
    Sorry for sounding nieve but what is an OT?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleIsleSMum View Post
    We really aren't too sure on how much/if any teaching play is done with her at her mums house. Her mum was quite shocked when the teacher told her, but we had noticed that she is a little behind with only slightly comparing her to friends children her age.
    The teacher also said she doesn't hardly talk at school which is a bit odd as normally once she gets to know a new routine/place she settles in ok.

Another thing I've noticed is that when she paints or drawers its just allot of colours, as in she doesn't paint a yellow circle for a sun, or really struggles to draw a face. Weve done quite a bit of practice doing just a plain circle but she struggles to either stop once it's roughly a circle or stops way too short.
    Sorry just trying to give some more examples!

Will send you a pm! Would love some more helpful info
    Sorry for sounding nieve but what is an OT?
    OT is Occupational Therapy. They can assess things like fine and gross motor skills, and may even make a referral for speech therapy if they think this is required. I'm not sure about the Tasmanian school system, but here in NSW where I work as an educational psychologist (school counsellor), we can do a cognitive assessment on children who are *suspected* of having some learning difficulties, on the referral of their teachers or parents.

However, she is very young and there is a lot of difference between children are this age. I'll send you some resources shortly, but it's important to focus on one thing at a time, and revise, revise and revise. Even better if you can get her birth mum to work with you. A few times I have sat down with both families and given them the same resources to get them to work together to develop skills in their child - the success rate is soooo much better!