+ Reply to Thread
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS..... how do you support Prac students????

My DH just has the most horrendous disastrous prac experience at our local highschool.

He is a Grad- Dip Ed student who was undertaking his first prac in English adn History.

He got stuck with a COMPLETELY ineffectual teacher, who doesn't plan......a...n...y...t...h...i...n....g.

She expected him to teach a 70min lesson on his THIRD day in a school, with no examples of lessons she'd done, no planning overview for the term... nothing. She gave him no support and no guidance. She did not group work, she did teacher-directed explicit lessons the whole time... WITH mis-information! (like Australia being 324 yrs old )

Now.... I'm a teacher... Primary school...

and I know how much I plan, and how much planning the teachers at the schools do.

We live in a small town, her husband is the vice principal. They have a reputation around town, both with current and former students, and the community for her being an airy-fairy bish... and him being a w@nker.

All Carlo wanted was to see some plans, to know what kind of lessons she taught, and know what she wanted covered in his lessons, and know what direction they were heading.

It was his first prac, he was only supposed to be doing 15 min whole class sessions for the first week anyway...

Anyway, he's not there anymore.... the uni is trying to place him somewhere else....

So my question is... do YOU plan? Do you have planning folders, and how do you work with your prac students? Do you show them your plans, do you collaborate with them on the planning for the time they're there? Do you give them overviews of units and terms and what's being covered?

Or do you just drop them in on week one and expect them to take whole lessons with no guidance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    shameless bump now that school's over.

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have unit outlines, differentiated curriculum, whole folders of units, sheets, lessons and resources. She sounds crap and I'm glad the Uni has taken him out. I have rubrics to match these and share all of these with any student teacher I have. I help them develop their own resources, and show them what the resources should look like. Essentially they are teaching 'my' kids and I need to make sure that a didgy lesson doesn't happen. That will only occur if I don't leave the student teacher in the dark. Plus it is my job to teach him/ her what I know. It sounds like she taught him what she knew

To be honest the uni needed to know so they don't send anyone else there to be ruined

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a primary school teacher but I don't write lesson plans - I do daily/weekly plans - not detailed lesson plans like I did back at uni.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Husband-face plans EVERYTHING. And keeps it all to teach in the future, he plans so much we barely get to spend time with him at all through the week.

When hubs did prac, the last week of the term prior to the prac he would be required to go to the school for the day, and discuss with the teacher at length about what was to be expected, what subject they would be covering in class (poetry, shakespeare etc) but the teacher wouldnt provide resources or anything, because i guess its part of the prac for the student to do it all themselves.

Sounds a bit ridiculous and crazy to me, glad he has been placed elsewhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    The university is being fantastic about it.

she really was just a dreadful teacher. i think there was a lot of jealousy involved as she dietmmt have a very high opinion of her classes. and basically told Carlo on day one. "There kids are really low achieving. they don't want to be here. they are completely disengaged and very rude. don't be surprised if all your lessons fall flat."

Well they didn't. the students loved him and he had them producing work in two days that she hadn't got from them all year.

but she HATED the students talking. HATED any kind of group work. she was just a control freak. a control freak who doesn't plan doesn't like her class doesn't ago for success and just wanted a prac student so she could do jack all for 4weeks.
    she didn't even bother telling him what unit was being covered.