+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think a judge has the right to order a child to be vaccinated against a parents wishes. I dont believe the courts should intervene unless there is abuse or neglect involved. This is a matter of choice where the science is not settled. There are many anti-vaccination advocates even within medical circles.

I think it is entirely a parent's decision. I am sure it is made with other precautions in mind to protect the child.

I am sure a Hep B parent would be ultra vigilant if it was their choice not to vaccinate (or to delay vaccination).

My doctor is anti-vax. I'm not but I am grateful for the autonomy to make decisions i believe are in the best interests of my family.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not vaccinating in this case would be neglect, the chance that this baby would have contracted Hep b is high, not a slight chance.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-05-2012),Misschief  (25-05-2012),trishalishous  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I hope the family can move forward from this. I do think - as much as id fight under unnecessary circumstances that a judge overrule a parents decision, 20% risk is too high.

I believe god would understand that.

Though I have to believe this, im royally screwed if the *real* god is one that would punish a 48 hour old baby for something beyond their control. If thats enough of a sin to send you to hell heaven must be a pretty lonely place!!!

Sent from my X10i using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 25-05-2012 at 20:14.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-05-2012),Misschief  (25-05-2012),trishalishous  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Different situation but a Family Court magistrate ordered that my DH be allowed to get his children vaccinated. DSD was mostly vaxxed but DSD had had none of his shots as when he was born his mother decided vaccination caused autism and wouldn't allow him ANY vaccinations at all. It was quite a bone of contention and when in Family Court trying to sort out custody, he raised this issue and the magistrate immediately agreed they should have their shots as the mother could provide no valid reasons why not to vaccinate. The magistrate ruled in the best interests of the kids as per the current government stance on vaccination. So it's not a new thing for courts to do/say. Obviously circumstances aren't the same but still.
    In this case I fully support the courts decision to protect the child.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Benji  (25-05-2012),trishalishous  (25-05-2012),twotrunks  (25-05-2012),Ulysses  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MMelissa View Post
    I don't think a judge has the right to order a child to be vaccinated against a parents wishes. I dont believe the courts should intervene unless there is abuse or neglect involved. This is a matter of choice where the science is not settled. There are many anti-vaccination advocates even within medical circles.

I think it is entirely a parent's decision. I am sure it is made with other precautions in mind to protect the child.

I am sure a Hep B parent would be ultra vigilant if it was their choice not to vaccinate (or to delay vaccination).

My doctor is anti-vax. I'm not but I am grateful for the autonomy to make decisions i believe are in the best interests of my family.
    Science has shown many times over that vaccines prevent or lessen the chance of catching or lessen the severity of illnesses. That IS settled.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (26-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    Sorry haven't read replies just the article.
    I'm not sure what religion they are. Personally I feel the judge made the right call. I don't think children at high risk of medical complications that could potentially take their lives or cause long term damage should be at the mercy of their parents beliefs.
    I think when you can make the decision for yourself about your health and your body then you can reject dr's advice and any medical intervention. But a child and baby don't have the capability to do that.
    Who's to say if they did end up with a long term health complication that they a) grow up having the same beliefs as adults and therefore accept their parents decision or b) hold their parents accountable for the decision that's ruined their health and quality of life.
    I couldn't do it to my kids, their health and wellbeing comes before everything. 20% hepb risk is not a small risk and the health complications are too great.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Though I have to believe this, im royally screwed if the *real* god is one that would punish a 48 hour old baby for something beyond their control. If thats enough of a sin to send you to hell heaven must be a pretty lonely place!!!
    ^^ THIS! If I were going to hell from the 2nd day of my life, due to no decision of my own, I'd be committing every sin possible as I'm doomed anyway.

Another thing is, even IF the child is seen as a sinner for having received this vaccine, then when the child gets to an age where he/she can be held accountable for his/her actions, then the child can decide to accept Jesus as his/her savior and be baptized and therefore all sins are forgiven and you start fresh again.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have heard scientologists don't vaccinate, but not sure. There would only be a very small number of religions that do not I would imagine.

I also doubt that if they were of the Christian belief they would be worried about their own child going to hell but rather they would be concerned that "they" would be going to hell for going against their religions beliefs. Which translates to: they prefer to put the baby at risk than be damned by their god for their actions. As opposed to: they prefer to put their child at risk than have the baby damned to hell or whatever negative outcome it might face as a result of going against their God/religion.

Essentially if the child is forced (as in it does not really have much of a say as a newborn) then I doubt the child could logically be held accountable or it seen as a sin of the child by any religion.

Other religions do not allow animal products etc. as part of their practise, but however many of these make an exception for medicine.

Often philosophical and religious reason NOT to vaccinate are clumped together - maybe this is a case of the same thing. Either way the risk to the child remains the same. I am sure there are some that think the government should never intervene with what a parent believes is right and then there are those that believe that in some circumstances parents don't always make the best choices for their children. Being a parent doesn't automatically make you infallible and any child that has been abused, molested or neglected will tell you that this is true. Of course where to draw the line between a parents choice and the best interest of the child is contentious but in this case i totally agree with judges evidence based decision to protect this child.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 26-05-2012 at 07:00.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-05-2012),beebs  (26-05-2012)