+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I spent a month there with DD, and am fighting to stay in my local hospital this time
    The biggest thing for me was not being able to open the windows (5th floor) and the horrible drying airconditioning! I also 'wasnt allowed' to go for a walk outside without a visitor incase I needed assistance, so I felt very trapped!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my daughter there as I was sick with pre-eclampsia and she was born premature. As this was sudden I didnt have any of my antenatal checks there, but for the 10 days I was in hospital they were fantastic. In that whole time I only had one nurse that was a little abrubpt the rest were marvelous, doctors were great and the nurses in the special care nurseries were amazing! If we have another bub I have to go there again now but I wouldnt hesitate regardless as they were great.

The only slight negative I have about it is I dont feel I had a lot of skin to skin contact after the birth, BUT having said that I was very sick afterwards with an epidural headache so it may have been more because of that. I do believe they are supposed to be pretty big o the skin to skin thing. And also when we saw the lactation consultant she was very rush in rush out to talk to us, and I felt I really needed more help there, but again that wouldnt put me off going there again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my DS1 there as it was a high risk pregnancy. Wasn't really long in the labour suite (the birth was only an hour from start to finish) but the midwives were fine. I transferred to PMH as soon as I could so rooms weren't a bother except for the fact I wanted out ASAP and they wouldn't let me go for 24 hours incase of complications. I guess if anything did go wrong, you're in the best place and the special care nursery there is excellent.
    The Gold team who looked after all my antenatal visits and management were fantastic, especially Prof Dickinson if you get her. But I do agree that there can be hideous waiting times for the antenatal appts. It didn't really bother me as I took along my cross-stitch and at least got to finish it thanks to the waits.
    Last edited by TeenyT; 19-05-2012 at 11:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my twins there in 09. I thought it was great.
    I spent 5 weeks total as an inpatient. You are in a shared room if you are admitted before the baby is born and you get your own room after. I never felt pressured to leave and they let me stay an extra couple of days so I didn't have to leave the babies behind. Food was good as far as hospitals go, parking was a pita.
    The midwife clinic is busy with waits up to an hour but if you are high risk you see an Ob and there is virtually no wait.
    All of the staff are lovely, in all of my time there I only had 2 pita midwives.I had a csection and myself and my babies were too unwell to have immediate cuddles but that's more my scenario and not the hospital.
    NICU were wonderful, can't praise them enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't have a baby there but was sent there when I had an ectopic. Was the single worst medical experience of my life.

They wouldn't let me have the surgery, forced me to have methotrexate. Which didn't work. I went in every day for 3 weeks in agony, telling them I was in pain, couldn't sleep and that something was wrong. Their "senior OB" finally did a scan, said I was fine and to stop complaining and sent me home. 5 hours later I went back as I couldn't walk I was in so much pain. Finally they did the internal scan I'd begged for the previous 10 visits and it turns out my tube had ruptured days ago and I had really bad internal bleeding.

I just found they don't have enough doctors. Everytime I was there it was a 5 hour wait and they were so eager to get me out the door.

I will do anything in my power to ensure I never have to go back there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With a healthy pregnancy, I wouldn't go there again.
    At appointments I had to always wait for hours.
    When I went in in labour, they sent me home telling me it was just Braxton hicks. Went home and went straight back coz I was in so much pain and KNEW I was in labour. By the time I got there I was 4cm dilated, totally Braxton hicks
    The OBs were pushing me to have a CS because my labour was taking too long (all up was less than 12 hours of active labour) but thankfully I had a lovely midwife who literally locked them out of my room. The midwives during my labour and birth were all lovely.
    They kicked me out of hospital less than 24 hours later, I say kicked me out because they literally presented me with the forms to discharge me without first ensuring I felt confident enough to go, which I wasn't, at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Message for Wobbleyhorse

Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Hi Ladies - I had my son there last year and had a fantastic experience. I went through the midwife program and I only had to wait once for an appointment (and this happens in heaps of places from the hairdresser to dentists to doctors) so I just factored in a bit of waiting time and always made sure I had a book to read just in case.

All the midwives I had were lovely and I felt they all took the time to listen and answer all my questions.

Most of the birth rooms have been renovated and had large bathrooms/shower access - they also have baths available to use during labour (I don't think you can use them for birth though).

All the support I received during the labour was great. I ended up staying in hospital for 4 days as I needed IV antibiotics and although the room wasn't flash it was totally adequate for my stay. I had heaps of help with breastfeeding and had a lactation consultant visit me in my room.

I will definitely head back there for any other pregnancies.

Wishing you all the best with everything -and if you have any other questions let me know :-)
    Hello wobbleyhorse, I have sent you a friend request because I have a private question I wish to ask. Thanks. Vesna

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vesnapeabody View Post
    Hello wobbleyhorse, I have sent you a friend request because I have a private question I wish to ask. Thanks. Vesna
    Hi @vesnapeabody - I think you may need at post a few times (from memory 5 times) before you can send a private message. Happy to answer any questions

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Message for wobbleyhorse

Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Hi @vesnapeabody - I think you may need at post a few times (from memory 5 times) before you can send a private message. Happy to answer any questions
    If that's the case, could you please email me at vespeabody@gardener.com or alternatively would you provide an email address at which I can contact you. Thanks Vesna

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for sounding mysterious. I am a research assistant for a Sydney lawyer who wishes to obtain certain information from women who had babies at King Edward Memorial Hospital during 2011 or 2012. Thanks. Vesna