+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I would absolutely let my child go, and agree 100% that parents should not attend.

I can only see good in this, where exactly is the perceived harm?
    Yup. Ditto.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wouldn't abusers just not allow their kids to attend?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would let my kids go. They have attended similar incursions at school and I have been very impressed with the feedback from my kids

I expect that a incursion like this would have been very heavily vetted by the school and the education department. A program like this has to jump thorough many hoops to get to the stage of being able to be presented to kids.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a fantastic idea and would definitely let my kids go. The more knowledge they have the better. I can also understand why parents aren't allowed to go. If I had gone to this kind of thing as a kid I would have been extremely embarrassed to have my mum there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think I'd probably let her go.

Sure, learning about paedophilia is uncomfortable, but I'm sure it's a heck of a lot easier than actually dealing with being a victim of paedophilia. I'd rather my daughter be taught how to deal with these situations... how to say no, that she has the right to say no, etc.

As much as I want to hope she'd come to me and tell me if anything like that happened, many parents hope that and yet their kids don't feel comfortable coming to them... I'd like for her to learn she has other avenues than just telling me...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would absolutely let my children attend! I would also like to know what organization is running this kind of class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids have attended the bravehearts show for the last 3 years. This year i attended it only coz i was working with 1 of the classes that was participating in it. I didnt find anything wrong with their message. Its about putting into words if someone does something you dont feel comfortable with. They recieve an activity book to bring home which shows what the show teaches.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to overcrowded For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't understand why parents can't attend. That's my only issue. They would do it in a sensitive way.. it wouldn't be like you would expect at a high school level.

I personally would let my children attend as I want them to be aware of their body and what is and isn't okay from an early age.. the fact that parents aren't allowed to attend might make me change my mind though. Did they give you a reason as to why you can't attend?

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no idea what organisation does it, it didn't say on the form {I don't think so anyway, I returned it this morning so don't have it to hand} but I could ask.

If I could attend, I would go and so could she. But I do not want DD discussing such a serious topic without my input or at least knowing exactly what will be discussed. The cutesy titles don't assure me.

I don't know what they're going to say in the class, and it makes me uncomfortable to let her go without me, so after thinking it over and talking with DH, she's not attending, but we will discuss the topic at home.

Thanks everyone for your input.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Smartest thing Ive heard in along time. About time too.
    Yes I would let my children attend.
    And no parents should not attend.
    In DDs school there are all different types of parent and many of them do not speak to their children about these things they think it's wrong, dirty, bad.
    One woman was absolutely furious because one of her daughters friends asked her what toiletries where and those things women use. (I'm assuming she meant tampoons or the like) just crazy stuff. She also proudly told me her 11 yr old knows nothing about sx because they are good parents.
    Many children can not discuss such things with parents and might feel very embarrass if their parents are present.
    Unfortuanely sometimes it falls on the school system to teach children and keep them safe.
    Last edited by Janesmum123; 18-05-2012 at 12:16.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (18-05-2012),Elijahs Mum  (18-05-2012),twotrunks  (18-05-2012)