+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds like a great opportunity to teach kids protective behaviors. What organization is providing it? Bravehearts?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would absolutely let my child go, and agree 100% that parents should not attend.

I can only see good in this, where exactly is the perceived harm?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Angiepop  (18-05-2012),MamaC  (18-05-2012),starla  (18-05-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes i certainly would let my child attend. It's all very well for parents to educate their kids, but the people putting on this show would be highly trained professionals. It's like learning to drive, it's fine for parents to teach but even with the best intentions of the parent a professional is always going to enhance their learning. And this is a topic I'd like my kids to be expertly educated in.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i would definitely let my child go. I think its entirely age appropriate, dd1 is 4.5 yo and we have talked about a lot of this stuff already. I think its a great initiative, tho i would like to see a script before i signed up, to make sure its not going to scare them. I would imagine its all presented very innocently...

But geez its sooo important that kids grow up with a sense of their right to say yes and no when it comes to their bodies and how others treat them.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i would also be interested to know what organisation does this type of show

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Without knowing 100% what they would talk about, i would say no. I would want to know the full storyline they would tell, not just the jist of it.

I feel like it would be too much for my child and would be more than happy for him to attend in about 2yrs when i know he would be ready to know about whatever they would teach.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's a fabulous concept. I would let my child attend for sure. Prep is not too young at all to learn about trusting your instincts and good /bad touch etc. Let's face it -- kids much younger than Prep age get abused in this way Bravo to your school for offering this. I wish it was at my child's school.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

bugsy  (18-05-2012),MamaC  (18-05-2012),shelle65  (18-05-2012),twotrunks  (18-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think I would just feel uncomfortable about not being able to attend... Maybe if the school could give more information about how it will be presented, that would be the deciding factor for me.....

ETA: I think the only reason I would like to addend is so I know what they are discussing/teaching the children, so that later I could discuss with my child what they learned and constantly go over and revise everything.... Such an important topic is so important, but strongly feel that the presentation and how it is delivered is key.

Of course I would want my child to learn how to avoid situations where something terrible like this could happen, BUT, you're saying at prep age, I know kids can be very attentive and pick things up easily, but struggle to see how a 4/5/6 year old could understand the importance and grasp the seriousness of the class.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also would definitely let my child go. My DD is also in prep and I would love that show to go to her school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I would absolutely let my child go, and agree 100% that parents should not attend.

I can only see good in this, where exactly is the perceived harm?
    ^this - if someone is trying to teach my baby about protecting him or herself I'm all for it whether or not I can be there. We're on the same side, preaching the same message to my little one.
    Last edited by becandabub; 18-05-2012 at 08:46.