+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh yes! I get you. I'm SO sick of wasting plate after plate of veggies! Lucky DD loves her fruit!

She was actually a fantastic eating until about 6 months ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am so glad that DD isn't a fussy eater - she used to not touch her veges but then the rule became, "You can't eat anything until the veges are gone," and she's a stickler for rules, so that just worked fine for us. I know it's unlikely to be that easy for others.

I'd try popping veg in other meals for now. I know it's better to encourage them to eat veges as they are, rather than hiding... but I'd try it anyway.

Do you have any good eater friends? If you can get your kids around kids that WILL eat their veges, they may be more inclined to give it a go too. I can often convince DP's niece and nephew to try veges even though they never will any other time, because DD will eat them too. I just say, "Do you want a try of her food?" or even offer them some of mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been there with DD1 and it is super frustrating. Just keep offering them. Even if you hide vegies, also give them a visible serve on their plate to keep prompting and one day they will try something. My DD refused vegies from about 21 months until 2.5y/o and now at 3.5 y/o shes not great but she eats potato, pumpkin, peas, corn, carrots willingly. She will try a bite of some other vegies. I still pack meatballs, bolognaise, tuna patties, zucchini slice etc full of hidden vegies. I even peel zucchini and grate it into scrambled eggs.

Good luck, they will get there eventually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I get it, I really do.

After years of trying I gave up and stopped trying. Now it's eat it or not, whatever I don't care anymore.

I tried it all. The hiding veggies in mince doesn't work because they don't like mince or rissoles etc.

Even now the only cooked veggies my girls will eat isn't much. DD1 & DD3 will only eat corn and mashed or baked pumpkin or baked sweet potato. And DD2 will only eat mashed potato.

The only exception is one soup I make. I have tried others with no luck but they will eat my "Orange Soup".

I have had some success with some meals out of Jessica Seinfelds books with the pureed veggies in the dish. There is a Teriyaki Chicken with carrot puree that they all love. Her books also have veggies in cakes etc but I haven't tried those.

Funnily enough a while after I gave up DD1 started eating salads (just Garden or Greek salads but its a start) and DD3 followed as well. So, now they will usually have salad with their dinner or something raw. DD3 even started taking cucumber and snow peas to school last term! DD2's "salad" consists of red capsicum and nothing else.

I'm lucky though, they love their fruit and will eat practically any fruit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friends dd wouldn't eat veggies so I offered to have her for dinner at my place for a week cause my dd does. She was 6 at the time do this is what I did the first night they were all hidden grated finely ect after she ate it I made a huge song and dance about it telling her that there were veggies in the meal.
    The next day I did the same but made the pieces a bit bigger made a song and dance about it all saying she ate some she stopped eating when she noticed it. I never said anything about her not eating them just about her eating some.
    Then the next day I put them on her plate chopped, I told her if she eats all her carrot she might turn orange from them, her broccoli turn green she thought it was the funniest thing ever and started eating them asked for more to see if it would work, I made it out that I could see orange in her skin after she ate it.

Sorry for long story but maybe try this don't know if it helped cause my dd ate her veggies in front of friend, I made it as fun as I could so it wasn't a battle.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh loving this thread, its such hard work to get veggies into them! DD1 is pretty good but DD2 is terrible. She will sometimes eat broc & cauli, maybe a carrot in her fist (I only feed her 'pony carrots' tho ) I have to come up with a new game every week which makes them fun to eat but the novelty soon wears off... last week it was 'i *bet* you can't fit that broc into your little teeney-weeney mouth' and this week its abrakedabra make that cauli disappear') We went through a phase of serving everything on cocktail sticks making funny faces, swapping dinners, different spoons, feeding baby, picnics, eating at their art table, its hard work but I can usually persuade her to eat *something* green once a day...

I just broke my stick mix from overuse, I think I have the only two preschoolers in the country who are regularly fed pureed food lol. I still puree their spag bol and chili after its cooked, and i puree the raw veggies for meatloaf and tell them its a square sausage. neither girl will eat anything lumpy like casseroles / hot pots / stir frys etc.

Oh and they eat potatoes but it has to be fresh desiree potatoes, which are really the best potatoes you can get in Australia. Fussy much?!
    Last edited by Gothel; 18-05-2012 at 09:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just another thought (you have most likely tried). How hungry are they as they sit down to dinner? I found if I let my DS snack after 4 and then eat dinner at 5.30/6.00pm he would become fussy/not eat much etc. I stopped it and his eating improved immensley. He at least tried the broccoli and cauliflower and will eat carrots, peas and corn (the sweeter vegetables).

Also, we bribe. We let him have an icy pole after dinner if he has eaten dinner and that inluded most if not all his vegetables. We don't get angry or frustated. We make it plain and simple. There has been a few nights he has to put his plate up and does not get an icy pole. It bums him out as he LOVES them but it is a helpful tool in this house. On those nights, we don't eat ours in front of him until he is in bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have battled with this with DD since she started on "normal" food (she's now 4).
    I have tried EVERYTHING suggested here. Nothing worked. Then a few weeks ago we were told she has Aspergers, and one of the traits (we disnt realise) was a preference for certain textures. Thru trial & error we discovered she likes smooth purees. Once we realised this, i have been making her "baby food" type smooth mashes and she eats everything! No more fights over food.
    Last edited by steel magnolia; 18-05-2012 at 10:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I give cut up raw veg while I'm cooking. DD likes dipping them in something. I would tell DS to taste it at least, and later he had to eat three spoonfuls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I give cut up raw veg while I'm cooking. DD likes dipping them in something. I would tell DS to taste it at least, and later he had to eat three spoonfuls.