+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why don't my kids eat veggies *vent*

I'm so sick of the both of them and their eatting habbits.

I've even tried giving them nothing but veggies for lunch/dinner & they still don't touch them.

Theyve had a serve if fruit or veg on every almost every plate at every meal since 12 months old & I've had jack of it.

Ive tried sauce, gravy, cheese, white sauce, Salt & pepper, curry, plain, microwaved, baked, steamed, raw, butter, fried, you name it I've tried it.

Rewards, threats, ignoring, encouraging & ignoring some more and ensuring they see me eat healthy fruit & veg daily.

I remember a CFHN telling me it can take 15 times of seeing the food before they'll even touch it, well 2000 times later they still don't eat it.

At least they're old enough for multi vitamins now.

*vent over*

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not cool, I hope they start eating them soon for your sake!

No advice really as DD isn't old enough yet. She actually loves veggies, but doesnt like fruit or anything sweet.

I sometimes use backwards logic. For exampled when DP's youngest brother was 7, he refused to eat the fishcake he ordered. I said to him, "Do you like Cake?", to which he replied "Yes". So I said "Do you like fish?", to which he replied "Yes". "Well there you go, you like cake, you like fish and here is a fish cake".

He bit it, and liked it!

I used to do that to my brother when he was younger.

What about trying them on soups and stews?? Or braises? Where the veggies can be pretty well hidden but still there?

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If my writing is jibberish I am sorry. Lack of sleep and it wont let me edit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand your frustration.. My DD is the same. I'm sure you have tried this, but I hide her veggies in mince type meals such as spaghetti or rissoles. And lately she has just started to accept green mash potato lol. I cook up Brussels sprouts, cabbage and choko or swedes, chop it fine in the processor and add it to the mash. She loves it. If you were to leave out the green veggie though, you'd never know there is an add in. Savory muffins are another fave.

Tomorrow I am actually going to try a recipe for a 'poko' cake.. A supposedly delicious moist cake with choko in it. I'm dubious, but going to give it a go!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to maddysmama For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So frustrating!! My 20 month old DS is the same!!! I just don't bother anymore. He gets it on his plate every night and it always gets thrown in the bin after dinner. I guess I'll just continue, I was getting so worked up about it that I just made a conscious decision Not to care!!

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    They will get there, just keep offering and presenting it. I have a 7 year old who used to detest anything vegetable, and now, he asks for meals like stir fry or chicken salad, and is disappointed if there is no broccoli in something!

They will survive, just do what you can and eventually everything will come right

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, its the same here.

I make them home made sausage rolls and hide finely grated carrot in them.

In our sghetti bol sauce i finally grate carrot and zuchini

Otherwise nope. Wont touch anything on the plate if they can see there is vegies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank God, I am not alone... Although she is getting a little better, I've resorted to grating veggies too, and also baby sister has puréed veggies and the toddler ate 2 serves of the puréed vegies yesterday, yay, LOL... It used to get to me too, but doesn't so much now, she'll get there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't know if this has been suggested of if you have tried it.... But could you hide veggies in stuff...? Lol... I have to do this to my DP ... I hide veggies in mostly mince stuff, rissoles, spag bol, lasagna, meat loaf......

I then serve my hidden dinners in the lounge where the lighting is pretty dim and he usually eats it allll up and doesn't notice unless I don't cut something up small enough. I have learned to great carrot and zucchini and stuff now.. :P haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hugs. Its hard. My almost 5yr old asked the other day for carrots. I gave him some with dinner and he loves them. He would refuse carrots all the time, well refuse any sort of vege.

In about 2wks time going to try him on something else so he can try new veges.

Tonight he is going to nanas house and i told him he will be having sausage, potato and carrots for dinner. He was disappointed with the sausage and potato but looking forward to the carrots.

It does get better. I would stress heaps but now i am just on the meh of it all and going to embrace him enjoying carrots while he likes them and think they will make him see super awesome coz he thinks just that.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub