+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't watch music vids at home (we don't have foxtel either), so it's a no simply because of that.

However music is a big part of our lives, I play drums and my family all play instruments or sing. Eventually DD is going to warm to one particular genre and (hopefully) find some form of self expression through music. And in that, I really don't want to be the mother that stifles her expression.

My personal opinion is most of the music today is rubbish. I also think its my job as a parent to let her know that she doesn't have to gyrate, or get around in a state of undress to be beautiful/popular/talented. The plan is to not have to face this until she is much older (ie a teenager!!).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (18-05-2012),Justwant2beamummy  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by eviezmum View Post
    I don't watch music vids at home (we don't have foxtel either), so it's a no simply because of that.

However music is a big part of our lives, I play drums and my family all play instruments or sing. Eventually DD is going to warm to one particular genre and (hopefully) find some form of self expression through music. And in that, I really don't want to be the mother that stifles her expression.

My personal opinion is most of the music today is rubbish. I also think its my job as a parent to let her know that she doesn't have to gyrate, or get around in a state of undress to be beautiful/popular/talented. The plan is to not have to face this until she is much older (ie a teenager!!).
    Just to clarify - not digging at parents who do let their kids watch, just making a note that if DD decided to listen to/ watch these kind of clips, I would want her to know that she didn't have to emulate the women in them.

Having a two year old bounce on your lap can be distracting and lead to inarticulate responses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    The thought of this makes me feel... Just, yuck. A three year old singing about being turned on. I know she wouldn't understand what it means but it shocks me that parents let their children listen to / watch this stuff, and even encourage it by filming it. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to say your a bad mum, I just feel that way about it. It makes me sad that little girls are prancing around to songs like that.

I haven't read all the thread so I don't know if it's be mentioned, but I really detest the whole obsession with that little Sophie Grace girl singing Nicky Minaj songs. I think it's completely inappropriate.
    Really? So firstly I get told that I'm sarcastic by FOBS and making out that other parents are 'holier than thou'....

THEN my dd gets pitied for having a mum that encourages such grotesque behaviour....

Can't win really hey!

FWIW, thanks OP for "not saying I'm a bad mum", even though the tone of your post made it blatantly obvious that I am one in your eyes I know I'm a great mum - my dd tells me all the time! And If that 'shocks' you, I really wonder whether you actually live on this planet?? What shocks me is the parents who beat and abuse their kids but whatevs!

Gosh I'm glad I didn't mention the Lady Gaga "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" incident then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Really? So firstly I get told that I'm sarcastic by FOBS and making out that other parents are 'holier than thou'....

THEN my dd gets pitied for having a mum that encourages such grotesque behaviour....

Can't win really hey!

FWIW, thanks OP for "not saying I'm a bad mum", even though the tone of your post made it blatantly obvious that I am one in your eyes I know I'm a great mum - my dd tells me all the time! And If that 'shocks' you, I really wonder whether you actually live on this planet?? What shocks me is the parents who beat and abuse their kids but whatevs!

Gosh I'm glad I didn't mention the Lady Gaga "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" incident then
    Oh for gods sake. Trust me, nothing shocks me. I've seen/heard it all. I do 'live on this planet'? What a bizarre thing to say? It's actually a little offensive.
    I'm sure you are a wonderful mum. Assuming one's tone on the internet can be very misleading. I'd just stick to reading their words. Because you'll notice that I've never said that you or anyone who let's their child watch music clips were a bad mother. It's an issue very close to my heart because of my past.
    Read back over some of my previous posts if you like. You will then see that I don't need a 'tone'. I actually say what I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Can't win really hey!

Ya know what? I totally agree with you

Wish people on here would get off their high horse.Kids all around the world are dealing with MUCH worse!!! Bet they were wishing they could just watch a video clip in peace!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to *Chels* For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Oh for gods sake. Trust me, nothing shocks me. I've seen/heard it all. I do 'live on this planet'? What a bizarre thing to say? It's actually a little offensive.
    I'm sure you are a wonderful mum. Assuming one's tone on the internet can be very misleading. I'd just stick to reading their words. Because you'll notice that I've never said that you or anyone who let's their child watch music clips were a bad mother. It's an issue very close to my heart because of my past.
    Read back over some of my previous posts if you like. You will then see that I don't need a 'tone'. I actually say what I think!
    I wasn't talking about you FOBS, I was talking about justwanttobeamummys post above. I only mentioned that you commented about my sarcasm. The rest was directed towards JW2BAMs post... Just wanted to clarify that I wasnt talking about you re: the planet thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I thought girls on film was banned when it first came out?

Thanks
    Reviews

Can't win really hey!

I don't think your a bad parent, that's why I clarified. A bad parent to me is someone who intentionally hurts or disadvantages their child, obviously you don't have a problem with it, so I don't think you are.

And yep, letting your little girl sing about rising on a disco stick makes me feel sad.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, never.

But DD1 started watching music video clips at 17yo. I felt that was beyond my reach to disallow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    haha I dont even understand what taking a ride on a disco stick means???
    So I doubt my kids would! They LOVE Lady Gaga and PINK and beg me to put them on in the car,which I happily oblige.<3 them!