+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachell View Post
    I know, my dad is Russian and lives in the Ukraine. I have been to the country in question.
    My husband is Finnish and grew up in Finland and Russia for a little while. Im am well aware how different it is over there and my husband obviously more aware than me as he spent his childhood there.
    He was gob smacked at this woman and that it was on a children's show.

The way I actually came across this video was when I was watching Foxtel with DD and we were flicking through Chanel's and noticed the start of this kids show, dd seemed quite intrigued by it (even though it was in Russian) and the next second I see this lady on with her boobs hanging out.. The YouTube video doesn't do much justice to what I seen after she had done her performance she was sitting down with the host and you could pretty much see her genitals
    She was wearing white see-through panties and yes.. I don't need to say much more.

Yes it's Russian.. But music clips aired in Australia can be worse than that.

My husband knows a little bit of Russian and was able to pick up on what she was saying in her lyrics...
    Not something I would want my children listening to even if we lived in a different country and it was "acceptable"
    Hahaha. Not gobsmacking to me every time I'm there I see that.
    The boob thing is probably a bit much.

Which brings me to a funny story. I was at my grandmothers house over there and a family friend comes over now picture this she is wearing white boots really high ones, a white mini skirt and a gold and white top something you would wear when you are clubbing here anyway my 70 year old grandmother turns to me and says "why can't you dress nice like her, you dress like a boy always in pants, I know why cause your fat, you need to lose weight, then you can dress like that"..
    I was a size 12 at the time! Takes a while to get used to things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bahaha yep my nearly 5 year old daughter LOVES that song and just about wets herself laughing whenever she sees the music clip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    To those saying they turned out fine... are you unaware of how these overly sexualised messages can affect children? Can we please define "turned out fine"? I don't think there's any suggestion that watching music videos will automatically turn our daughters into drug addicted prostitutes lying in the gutter nor our sons into gun wielding pimps, however if it in any way influences their notion of sexuality or of their inherent worth... can you say they've "turned out fine"?
    Um I didn't turn out perfect no. I am the product of all kinds of influences. My mum is probably the most die hard feminist I know. And she let me watch pop music growing up even though it was all crap. And she would point out everything wrong with it lol. Which always stuck with me. I don't believe you can hide much from children. I'm not ignorant. I use common sense and if a song comes on about blow jobs or something I change the song. We listen to all kinds of music here. Just like when I grew up. My four year old loves bob Dylan and pink Floyd because my dad refuses to let us listen to commercial music in his car and is teaching him the piano just like he taught me and my brother. It's all about balance imo

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is the Kiddy version

LMFAO - I'm Sexy And I Know It Parody- I'm Elmo And I Know It

Not sure if link will work. Just copy and paste in YT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We dont watch them much,but when I do,it doesnt bother me if the kids see them.Its not like they sit down and watch them anyways

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    My mum is probably the most die hard feminist I know. And she let me watch pop music growing up even though it was all crap. And she would point out everything wrong with it lol. Which always stuck with me. I don't believe you can hide much from children. I'm not ignorant.
    This is a good point. And if parents are prepared to sit with their children and explain to them the ways in which Snoop Dogg's video clips are mysogenistic and degrading I think that's actually a really good learning opportunity.

It's when children just absorb these images on their own and incorporate them into their notion of relationships and sexuality that I become concerned.
    Last edited by lambjam; 18-05-2012 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We listen to commercial radio in the car do a lot of pop music etc but I can turn it off if something comes on that I don't think is appropriate. We don't watch any music channels, I won't allow it. It actually makes me really sad coz I LOVED getting up on a Saturday morning and recording Rage songs. But it's changed soooo much since then- I remember 'simply irresistable' by Robert Palmer causing a bit of controversy. Now compare that to any Rhianna or Beyonce clip! In HS I loved rap and hip hop (still do), but any TLC or anything from back then paLes in comparison to what's on now.

Even if your kids don't copy the moves etc, they are passively digesting everything they see, and learning exactly what the opposite sex finds attractive, how they should behave if they want attention etc. it's very sad how these things can si extensively affect our children

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, if the Wiggles count. Otherwise no.

I don't watch TV whatsoever. The only channel that is turned on in this house, is ABC for kids. After that, the TV is turned off and DS and I go to bed. I am to tired to watch TV at night or early morning before DS gets up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. Unless you count The Wiggles...

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Even if your kids don't copy the moves etc, they are passively digesting everything they see, and learning exactly what the opposite sex finds attractive, how they should behave if they want attention etc.
    This, exactly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (18-05-2012)