+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I haven't seen women's gridiron... I'm not sure it even exists? if it does I haven't seen it and I have pay TV where we get a lot of US sport.
    http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1266948771

Like men's netball, it's not widely televised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Somewhat. I'm not a fan of people being exhibitionists, nor am I a fan of people oogling strangers. The whole concept of ones appearance equalling their worth disgusts me. That applies for both females and males, I don't think it's a feminist issue really.

But yes, my nieces are signed up and not because they can't get fame and fortune via clothed women's gridiron, but because they've seen the American version and like the mix of glamour and fun... they're a product of a society where your appearance is the measure of your worth, which is where the real issue lies for me.
    Firstly, thank heavens!

Secondly my bold on your post is *exactly* what feminism is about and what my interpretation of feminism is trying to challenge and change. AKA The patriarchy.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 17-05-2012 at 23:24.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post

And no, nrl players arent wearing only undies, but i'm sure there are a few of us who will admit to imagining them running round in much less.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    Big difference between imagination
    and reality. There are plenty of women's football teams/leagues in Australia that don't even get any media attention. Why?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand where lil miss is coming from...

There are certain professions out there most of us aren't comfortable with, and for so e that means a moral objection.

BUT these women are choosing to take these roles, and that's empowerment too me.

However I won't disagree with the blatantly obvious fact that there is less respect given to women athletes and this needs to be addressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw a doco on this and was appalled. The women aren't allowed to wear the same safety gear as the men because it would be unattractive and obscures the view of their bodies. The result? Many more serious injuries than in the mens league. Serious head injuries that the men are protected from. That is why its a feminist issue.

And the women interviewed said they would love to play and be taken seriously like the men, but noone would watch. This is what they must do to get an audience, so they do. The men were clearly not watching for the sporting talent. The way they were reacting was like a watching a bunch of leering louts.

Its not a completely free choice. Its a pressured choice. Play in lingerie without proper safety gear or play not at all.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (27-06-2012),BaronessM  (30-05-2012),Busy-Bee  (30-05-2012),Deserama  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (29-05-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (29-05-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I read a good point somewhere, made by a man.

Haven't women been oogling men running around in tight shorts and skin tight vests at the footy and rugby for years?
    (Ok, I know that's not entirely the point, but it has a grain of truth to it!).

Turn the tables. If you heard that a bunch of men were going to be playing a game of netball in their tighty-whiteys, would you get up in arms? Probably not. You'd most likely say "Why on earth would you want to watch that?" (or not) and go on with your day. You might have a giggle or roll your eyes. But men aren't oppressed, so it's just a bunch of guys having a laugh and maybe playing the exhibitionist card.
    Who says those women aren't doing exactly the same thing? And why don't they have exactly the same right to do that if they want as men would? Oh that's right, because for us to do something silly like that, we have to be forced into it, shamed into it, or made to feel less for doing it.

I don't think feminists get it right all the time. If we want true equality then we need to stop putting ourselves in boxes. Women can be just as raunchy, weird, silly, or outright bizarre as men. So if they can make the choice to run around in jocks on a footy feild (which I've seen MANY times ) women should be able to do exactly the same.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    And just one other point. If a sporting group wants to be taken seriously and watched for the sport they learn very quickly that whilst sex gets initial interests it doesn't last. Edit to add: I do NOT think children should have ANYthing to do with this sport! Some things aren't meant for little people and boob-ball sure ain't one of them lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpz View Post
    I understand where lil miss is coming from...

There are certain professions out there most of us aren't comfortable with, and for so e that means a moral objection.

BUT these women are choosing to take these roles, and that's empowerment too me.

However I won't disagree with the blatantly obvious fact that there is less respect given to women athletes and this needs to be addressed.
    I really don't see how this could be empowering. They are exploited. They have to play without the safety standards the males get. They are not paid. The big profits go to the male bosses who organise it. The players just get travel expenses. They don't get health coverage even though they suffer serious injuries. In the male game injuries are covered under club health policies.

They do not get to play in a safe environment and without fair pay or health care.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I really don't see how this could be empowering. They are exploited. They have to play without the safety standards the males get. They are not paid. The big profits go to the male bosses who organise it. The players just get travel expenses. They don't get health coverage even though they suffer serious injuries. In the male game injuries are covered under club health policies.

They do not get to play in a safe environment and without fair pay or health care.
    I can't speak on the sport specifically because I haven't looked much into it.
    However, going on what you have said, it's completely insane to not have appropriate safety gear.

I did agree that the same respect men's sports receive is very absent in women's sports.

My point is more about people getting up in arms if a woman uses her body to make a living.
    Empowering is a persons choice to use their own body as they see fit..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a shame that empowering is seen as taking clothes off when it comes to women

Not empowering that they are talented, empowering that they could only receive funding to play because they get their gear off.

People who take their children to these events should be charged under the same act that stops us from being allowed to take children under 18 into topless clubs and adult shops. Absolutely disgusting.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-05-2012),Busy-Bee  (30-05-2012),Deserama  (29-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (29-05-2012)