+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    And it has what to do with feminism? Are these women trafficked? Are they held against their will? Beaten? Drugged?

Feminism equals free choice last time I checked.

Dont like it don't watch it. No one is forcing you. Life will continue I promise.
    Perhaps the women playing do have a choice....but maybe they would prefer it if they could wear a real uniform and play a sport that sells tickets and gets tv coverage as men's football does, but to be televised, they have to objectify themselves instead of being taken seriously as athletes. And this problem is not just in the sporting arena, it extends to business where a woman who is a strong leader is regarded as a b!tch, a ball buster or a dyke, but a man is just a leader. This mentality trickles into so many other spheres - a woman ages in the media and she is out, a woman gains weight in certain fields, she is phased out, or moved into a different department to be replaced with someone younger and more attractive. There may be laws to prevent this, but for every law there is a way to sidestep it and people frequently do.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-05-2012),misskittyfantastico  (17-05-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (17-05-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    And it has what to do with feminism? Are these women trafficked? Are they held against their will? Beaten? Drugged?

Feminism equals free choice last time I checked.

Dont like it don't watch it. No one is forcing you. Life will continue I promise.
    I don't doubt for a moment that they are elite athletes, my problem is that they have to wear lingerie to participate in their chosen sport at elite level AND that the event is all about titilation by objectifying women. How is that not relevent to feminism? Of course I can't provide stats but I can only wonder how many of them would still participate if they were able to play their sport at the same elite level with the same financial and athletic rewards and still able to wear a standard sports uniform? I would wager quite a few of them would not.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 17-05-2012 at 21:05.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (29-05-2012),Guest654  (17-05-2012),misskittyfantastico  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just hate the message it sends to my boys if they ever accidentally watched it. Girls MUST be in minimum clothing for it to be classed as entertaining. Girls bodies are public property and are to viewed that way.
    Yeah...nah....not for me.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-05-2012),austmum  (27-05-2012),Deserama  (29-05-2012),misskittyfantastico  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I shudder to imagine people taking their children..
    Gross. Wrong.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's really just disgusting.

Even if it involved real athletes, their athletic ability isn't going to count. All that counts is how good their tits look bouncing around in the push-up bra.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I personally don't have an issue with it. As long as they aren't being forced in any way shape or form then I don't see the big deal. Its not something I would probably take my kids to (I have daughters) but I wouldn't stop them watching it if they wanted.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I honestly think some people just take life too seriously. I'm sure these women wouldn't be playing if they felt degraded in any way. Perhaps they feel empowered.
    Of course men are going to watch and have a bit of a perve, much the same way as I have a perve when watching the nrl.
    If you dont like it, dont watch it. It really is that simple.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peanuthead For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (17-05-2012),Ellymoe  (17-05-2012),SheWarrior  (17-05-2012),Sunshinemoonlight  (18-05-2012),trishalishous  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    I personally don't have an issue with it. As long as they aren't being forced in any way shape or form then I don't see the big deal. Its not something I would probably take my kids to (I have daughters) but I wouldn't stop them watching it if they wanted.
    I'm genuinely curious as to what you would say if they said "mummy why aren't they wearing any clothes?"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    I honestly think some people just take life too seriously. I'm sure these women wouldn't be playing if they felt degraded in any way. Perhaps they feel empowered.
    Of course men are going to watch and have a bit of a perve, much the same way as I have a perve when watching the nrl.
    If you dont like it, dont watch it. It really is that simple.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    Yeah but this is the attitude that got us into this highly sexualised youth problem in the first place. I don't care about the grown woman making these choices, I'm worried about the message it sends our kids.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

austmum  (27-05-2012),MissMuppet  (29-05-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I don't doubt for a moment that they are elite athletes, my problem is that they have to wear lingerie to participate in their chosen sport at elite level AND that the event is all about titilation by objectifying women. How is that not relevent to feminism? Of course I can't provide stats but I can only wonder how many of them would still participate if they were able to play their sport at the same elite level with the same financial and athletic rewards and still able to wear a standard sports uniform? I would wager quite a few of them would.
    Because feminisim is about choice that's how it's related.
    Have you spoken to them? Have they told you how outraged they are? Can they not play football with clothes on. Start a petition, get sponsorship, rally the government, change the law. Yes they can, do they no they dont.

As for the workforce it's not always the case but I admit it happens. But being a man you get called a control freak, a prick and so on.
    But yes it is harder for women I agree.

How many women talk about sexy male football players, how many times are sports people (male) featured in mags not wearing much. How many times are women drooling over their butts and thighs etc.
    It happens on both sides. What people have to understand is the way the human brain works.

I just can't understand feminist. It's like they say "sure go do whatever you want as long as its what I would do too". You have to follow their rules, their logic, their morals, their opinions. Anything that's outside that and you are labelled as brainwashed by society, uneducated, have no self respect etc.
    I just don't get it. Some women like taking their clothes off, some women like doing things you might not like to do. It's life, it's choice it's the very thing you are supposed to stand for.

I know everyone will disagree with me. I'm not a feminist, Im an equalist.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (17-05-2012),missjess86  (29-05-2012),Sunshinemoonlight  (18-05-2012),trishalishous  (17-05-2012)