+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpz View Post
    That's offensive to women who work in these professions.

And to me as one of the people who enjoys watching strippers or dancers.
    Agreed. There are a few regular members on this site who are currently/have worked in the sex industry, yet its not something they talk about over here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's offensive to women who work in these professions.

And to me as one of the people who enjoys watching strippers or dancers.

I can really see both sides to this discussion. Some women just enjoy performing. Some women truly are exploited. Some women don't see any choice but to exploit themselves.

I'm the only woman in Aus who is a full-time professional Sword-Swallower. I get all sorts of dodgy comments from my audiences, and have to be really careful about where I perform as it's a dangerous act, and some men, and women, are truly inappropriate in both their comments and actions. I have been sexually assaulted (felt up) in front of an audience of 50 by a guy who thought this was just fine (and later got done for the act by the cops) and needless to say I will never perform during the Grand-Prix at Southbank ever again... I tread a fine line between acknowledging the sexual overtones of the act, and fully owning the danger/overcoming death side of the act, and the better I become at controlling the audience to make it safer to perform, cutting down the sexually obsessed hecklers in the crowd, and improving the sword-swallowing itself, the more empowered I feel. I do, though, get really sick of the innuendo quite often, but have to accept that if I wish to perform this act, in front of humans and the human psyche, it is a part of it. So sometimes I raise the issue myself, take it to that place and then cut us all down for going there, then I can continue with the death-defying with the audience's full attention and with the hecklers under my feet, instead of hanging over my head...

And why do I do it? Because I LOVE cheating death and having that level of control over my body, I'm a good performer, I get paid extremely well...and when I first started I was told by a bloke that I wouldn't be able to do it "cos I was only a chick."
    Last edited by BaronessM; 30-05-2012 at 19:00. Reason: My bad punctuation strikes again...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Purpz  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I know a number of ex strippers who came from brilliant homes, had no drug addictions and in retrospect they regret the hell out of it.

So we all have anecdotes!

This doesn't make the concept of women playing sport in lacy knickers ok?
    I know! If you read through my previous posts in this thread I am completely against it.
    I was just hijacking the thread a little to touch on this misconception. : )

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've since found out that:
    - the players do not wear the same safety gear as men because it may inhibit their sexiness
    - they don't get paid or have health cover
    - they are contractually required to not wear anything under their underwear
    - they are contractually required to have 'accidental' nudity during the game

This is nothing more than blatant exploitation in the form of titilation, dressed up as 'sport'.

As for women leering at sporting men, they are athletes first! By definition sporting men and women are always going to have a good physique (apart from the odd golfer and darts players) and there will always be a level of perving but it is not a fair comparison in this case. Surely people can see the difference?

ETA: I'm sure there are lots of women in the s3x industry who enjoy working there. My annecdote? I've only ever known one person in that industry. She was a stripper and (I think) a prostitue. She was murdered and her body was not identified for months. (Jane Doe case in the early 1990s in Sydney) I went to school with her.

ETA2: The LFA is not that much of a leap from slavery. (The players do the physical work and take the risk to their health whilst the managers take all the financial profits.) The only difference is that they are not considered legal property and are 'free' to leave... or are they if that's the only way they can play their chosen sport at elite level??
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 30-05-2012 at 07:57.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Benji  (30-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (30-05-2012),katezane  (30-05-2012),MissMuppet  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I've since found out that:
    - the players do not wear the same safety gear as men because they wouldn't look sexy enough
    - they don't get paid or have health cover
    - they are contractually required to not wear anything under their underwear
    - they are contractually required to have 'accidental' nudity during the game

This is nothing more than blatant exploitation in the form of titilation, dressed up as 'sport'.

As for women leering at sporting men, they are athletes first! By definition sporting men and women are always going to have a good physique (apart from the odd golfer and darts players) and there will always be a level of perving but it is not a fair comparison in this case. Surely people can see the difference?

ETA: I'm sure there are lots of women in the s3x industry who enjoy working there. My annecdote? I've only ever known one person in that industry. She was a stripper and (I think) a prostitue. She was murdered and her body was not identified for months. (Jane Doe case in the early 1990s in Sydney) I went to school with her.
    Thanks for posting this bec, I had no idea about the criterea for playing. It has changed my opinion somewhat.

But I do think, if the women playing don't feel comfortable or empowered in what they do, surely they could be lobbying to have the game recognised for what it is.

I dont really know what my point is. But i'm in the mindframe that if these women know the regulations sorrounding the league, they must realise its not about the game, but running round in their undies.

There is womens football where they could be fully clothed and wearing appropriate protective gear. They choose to run around in their undies.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes we do, I'll pull out mine when required

Why do you feel it's not ok?
    Just asking.

It is ridiculous that this is the only "professional" team for women in this sport.
    Perhaps they need to find backers to help women's gridiron go in a new direction.
    Not that I know about business.

I, being a woman, obviously believe that women deserve freedom and equality.

I just don't believe these women don't have a choice.
    Or that none of them enjoy it!
    Actually - you just answered the question as to why I don't feel its ok. Because this is the only professional league for women, hey if there were other teams, where women could play, get paid, compete and wear football uniforms and safety gear etc, and then this league then that is ok. See then you could get to the top and go, Its really about the football and not the exhibitionism and they all have a choice about which team to join.

I also have a problem with them not being able to wear safety gear.WTF! OHS eat your heart out!
    I absolutely would never take my children to see it.
    Last edited by beebs; 30-05-2012 at 07:51. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I think the only kind of person who would truely enjoy being a stripper/dancer etc are the vain women who like disgusting perves looking at them and / or Women who need reasuring that they have something going for them.
    Wow..! I'd love to read your thesis on why woman become strippers. You have written one ...right..?? Otherwise this would be a really generalised, ignorant and judgmental statement.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (30-05-2012),katezane  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Nope!
    Even people from awesome, stable middle class families who go to private schools and had no experience of drugs or homelessness can end up in the sex industry
    One is a lawyer, two are teachers, one is a clinical psychologist, and one is studying social work and is a mum of three.
    Great, sounds like the kind of empowered sex workers that the others are talking about. That is however absolutely not the experience of the ladies I knew, one ended up working in a massage parlour at 13, the other addicted, on the streets and working the streets at 16.

Surely - even if you enjoy the industry - you can see that there are a lot of people who slip through the cracks, who don't want to be there, who feel they have no choice or whatever. I would even go as far as to bet that there are more women who don't want to work in that industry - who are working in the industry, than say, woman who are working in a multinational corporation with good benefits, who are down trodden and don't want to be there.

Its fine to respect the industry, its fine to like it and its fine when the women working there choose to work there and feel empowered by it. But that just isn't the case for a lot of women and girls.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

T 800  (30-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Great, sounds like the kind of empowered sex workers that the others are talking about. That is however absolutely not the experience of the ladies I knew, one ended up working in a massage parlour at 13, the other addicted, on the streets and working the streets at 16.

Surely - even if you enjoy the industry - you can see that there are a lot of people who slip through the cracks, who don't want to be there, who feel they have no choice or whatever. I would even go as far as to bet that there are more women who don't want to work in that industry - who are working in the industry, than say, woman who are working in a multinational corporation with good benefits, who are down trodden and don't want to be there.

Its fine to respect the industry, its fine to like it and its fine when the women working there choose to work there and feel empowered by it. But that just isn't the case for a lot of women and girls.
    Totally agree. Just wanted to state that it's not always the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Totally agree. Just wanted to state that it's not always the case.
    Oh yeah, of course, I met a stripper once who was studying some huge degree at Uni, she chose to be in the profession and wasn't a drinker or drug taker. She didn't love it, but she appreciated that it would get her to her goal in the end. ie - paying for her degree as she was an overseas student and didn't qualify for HECS.