+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Think feminism is no longer relevant?

Firstly I'm going to apologise to the Mods for making what may become a heated thread - I'm sorry, however, I just could not go past this.

I'm sure many of you have heard that the Lingerie Football League is coming to Australia. This is USA style football where women play in "shoulder pads, elbow pads, knee pads, garters, bras, panties, and ice hockey-style helmets" (wikipedia ref). The entire objective of the 'game' is so very blatently for the visual titilation by objectifying women's bodies - I don't think anyone could argue otherwise. If it were remotely about the sport they would be wearing more than just bras and undies.

But wait, it gets worse.

You can take the kids too. Yep, you can get a family ticket for 2 adults and "2 juniors" a junior being between 2-12. What frikkin message is this sending our children?

GAHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-05-2012),Benji  (29-05-2012),bumMum  (17-05-2012),chameleon  (29-05-2012),Deserama  (29-05-2012),Gandalf  (17-05-2012),misskittyfantastico  (17-05-2012),northern  (29-05-2012),Veve  (29-05-2012),Witwicky  (17-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (17-05-2012)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Oh I HATE lingerie football- they air it on Austar here... and it makes me so angry every time I see it!!

I HAD put it down to being American... and a lot of things happen in that country I don't agree with.. and I could live with that.. but now it's coming here?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No arguments from me Bec.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And it has what to do with feminism? Are these women trafficked? Are they held against their will? Beaten? Drugged?

Feminism equals free choice last time I checked.

Dont like it don't watch it. No one is forcing you. Life will continue I promise.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (17-05-2012),Ellymoe  (17-05-2012),lilybean  (30-05-2012),Lincolns mummy  (17-05-2012),Sunshinemoonlight  (18-05-2012),tatia&shura  (30-05-2012),trishalishous  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've seen them on Foxtel, they're actually half decent sportswomen, so its ridiculous that they feel the need to do it in their lingerie. Money talks I guess.

I daresay the biggest ticket buyers will be men, I doubt many families would go and watch this sort of thing live, or more to the point I would hope not.

Eta: All that said, the beach Volley ball ladies don't wear that much either, admittedly it's not lingerie, but it's still not a lot.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 17-05-2012 at 20:44. Reason: eta

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you feel strongly against it - there is a petition to try and stop it:

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop...e-in-australia

The Lingerie Football League (LFL) is coming to Australia for two promotional matches in June and July, followed by an official launch in 2013. Founder and LFL chairman Mitch Mortaza proudly states that LFL is “brutality, sport and entertainment combined into one”. The LFL “True Fantasy Football” requires female players to wear lingerie while playing a modified version of US NFL football.

Players are contractually obliged to accept ‘accidental nudity’ as part of the game. The uniforms make it inevitable that these women will have their breasts and more exposed at some time during the game. However, they are forbidden to wear ‘additional garments’ underneath their lingerie, which would prevent flesh exposure, and are fined $500 if they do.

When Tampa Breeze Florida player Liz Gorman was asked on radio about the uniforms, she admitted, “Oh. Well, honestly, I don’t like it, I’d rather wear full clothing. Because when you fall, it literally rips your skin.”

Unlike male US NFL players, limited safety equipment is worn to ensure maximum exposure of the women’s bodies. Mortazza, has repeatedly emphasised injuries experienced by female players when promoting the ‘sport.’

The LFL has been careful to design their so-called “safety equipment” around the premise of maximum body exposure. Martin Winquist from The Sheaf (2012) writes:

"Both the lingerie and the padding (consisting of modified football shoulder pads, optional elbow pads, knee pads and hockey helmets with half-visors) are minimal enough to ensure none of them obscure the usually ample cleavage of the athlete…. Winquist rejects the notion that the game is not about objectification, explaining that, “As much as the league’s media spin-doctors may claim the league is about football and that these women are just like any other athletes, one look at the uniforms, the equipment, the ads and the athletes themselves must send our bull**** detectors into overdrive.”

Women are not paid, or are paid very poorly. Players have been threatened with legal action by the LFL for complaining or enquiring about health coverage and wages. Mortaza has acknowledged the women who played in the league are “former college-level athletes that have few other alternatives if they want to continue to compete at a high level in women’s sport.”

No Australian sportsman would ever accept these conditions. No Australian sportswoman should have to either.

"This is objectification at its most pernicious -- give women an opportunity to participate in a sport that they haven't had the chance to do for pay and publicly previously, but only let them do it if they are stereotypically pretty and willing to do it in their underwear" says Courtney Martin

The LFL has been pitched as the ‘ultimate live sports experience’. We believe the LFL is the ultimate sexual exploitation of women in sport. The LFL reinforces sexist stereotypes about women and further entrenches men’s sense of entitlement to women’s bodies.

The LFL presents women as sexual objects, undermining women’s equal participation in sport. The Australian Government Ausport website concludes on sexploitation that erotic, revealing outfits or nudity in women’s sport:

Cancel the events. Pull the advertising. Withdraw from promotional deals.

The Lingerie Football League must not go ahead in Australia. “sends conflicting and confusing messages to the media, the community and to other athletes. It also undermines the efforts to achieve equal credibility for all women athletes”.

We call on all who are involved in hosting, promoting, advertising or otherwise supporting the LFL to withdraw such support immediately.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 17-05-2012 at 20:43.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (29-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    And it has what to do with feminism? Are these women trafficked? Are they held against their will? Beaten? Drugged?

Feminism equals free choice last time I checked.

Dont like it don't watch it. No one is forcing you. Life will continue I promise.
    Ditto..

They're actually pretty fierce sportswomen and it is apparently the highest quality level of american football for women available in America..

I've watched it and don't really care that they're in their undies.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (17-05-2012),trishalishous  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post

Eta: All that said, the beach Volley ball ladies don't wear that much either, admittedly it's not lingerie, but it's still not a lot.

Thing is though - the guys playing beach volley ball wear swimmers too - which is appropriate...in this situation, the male counterparts playing teh same game are fully clothed and wear all the safety gear and don't get fined if they wear undies under their pants.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think one of the players in an Australian track and field athlete, Chloe something? she was on 60 minutes I think, they were saying she earns a six figure salary so I think that petition article was wrong about them not getting paid ?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1boyplus1 View Post
    Ditto..

They're actually pretty fierce sportswomen and it is apparently the highest quality level of american football for women available in America..

I've watched it and don't really care that they're in their undies.
    Um isn't this exactly why this is an issue???

17. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (17-05-2012)