+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I worked at JB I had my phone on me all the time.
    I never answered it or texted I used it purely for iTunes.
    Customers would sing us songs but only know if it was the right song by listening to it and we weren't allowed to play the actual CD.

I think your right not to answer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I was a customer and someone did that to me, id probably walk out empty handed.....

I think it's very professional of you to leave your mob in your locker... Most people would still have it on silent in their pocket..! I wouldn't though because I'm a sucker for temptation!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I worked in retail - phones were to be kept in bag in locker.

I agree - if she NEEEEEEEEDS you - ring the store phone, and leave a message if you are busy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, you are right not to answer your phone or have it on.

Technology has made people think you can and should be contactable at any time, when the reality is when you are at work, you're not being paid to answer personal calls.

Can you imagine if doctors, lawyers, teachers or people serving at McDonalds could take calls whenever they wanted???

I believe that the person in front of you is your main focus and that includes friends or family. I hate it when your left there while people play on their phones!!!

If its an emergency, there is an office phone.

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not acceptable in any sense and yes it's a pain that mobiles should mean we're available all the time. My DH is currently doing night shift so our phones including the house phone are on silent almost full time we just check a couple of times a day and it's nice. I've been screening calls for years though so this takes it to the next level.I'd tell her it's policy someone else got in trouble for non emergency use

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think work time is for work and personal time is for making and receiving phone calls...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Staff weren't allowed their bags or phones in the big office I ran, they had a locker where they checked in bags and checked them out as they left the big office for lunch etc... we had issues with internal theft of valuable data and staff having personal calls all day instead of doing what they were paid to.

Worked well.

If people needed to contact you urgently they could call the reception and be buzzed through to you.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    If I was at a bank/register/customer service desk and the attendant answered their mobile I would have and have made a written complaint.

You were right not to answer your phone.
    I would have too! How would your mum feel if service staff ignored her to take a personal call? Ill bet she would be peeved!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would be completely unprofessional to answer your personal phone while serving a customer. You are completely in the right.

I'd tell your mother that it's against company policy to do so and that she can call you on the main phone in an emergency.

As an aside, sometimes I call my mother on her mobile (she works in customer service so has it in her locker) to see whether I've caught her in a break. I'd never consider who rude for not answering it.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Incredibly unprofessional and many work places simply wouldn't allow it. if it is an emergency, people can always contact the place of work and leave a message.
    yup - what she said ..

I've worked in retail - and if I was found to have my phone on me .. it was immediate dismissal - it was written into every employee agreement