+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Customer service staff answering their phone whilst on duty - WDYT?

I had this big, stupid fight last night with my family over such a silly thing. I work in customer service and when I’m working at the counter or assisting a customer I leave my mobile phone in my locker. Yesterday my mum phoned me 3 times (which I didn’t hear) and when she rung on the 4th time I heard my phone and answered it (I was in the back office, not in the public area). She told me off for not answering my phone straight away, which I didn’t think much of at the time. But when I went to my parent’s place after work to pick up DS she let me have it, saying I should answer my phone and I don’t return calls and I’m rude. Well, firstly, I didn’t even hear my phone ring and secondly even if I did, I’m not going to answer it until I’ve finished.

Anyway, my mum just thinks that it is acceptable to carry my personal mobile with me at all times and if it rings and I’m with a customer I should just be able to excuse myself, ask the caller on my phone to hold on and continue serving my customer. Is it just me or is this totally unprofessional?

I know my supervisor would be p1ssed though, but I’m still interested to hear others opinions.
    Last edited by AceOfBase; 17-05-2012 at 18:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of jobs don't allow you to have a mobile on you. If I worked in customer service I wouldn't answer my phone and would be annoyed if someone answered theirs while serving me. Your Mum is going to have to get over it!

We have turned into such a now now now society.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I was at a bank/register/customer service desk and the attendant answered their mobile I would have and have made a written complaint.

You were right not to answer your phone.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what the store phone is for if it's an important matter.
    It's very rude, the only ppl that have phones on them at my and many other stores are management and it's a store mobile for msg that come through eg: recalls ect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, you shouldn't have your personal phone on you at all times when at work, that would be so unprofessional, especially if you know your boss/manager wouldn't approve.
    Surely if it were an emergency your mother could call you directly at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    yeah I'm never allowed a phone at work- people need to understand whilst at work people can't talk on mobiles lol?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH thinks I should have my phone with me all the time too. I'm a nurse, can you imagine helping a patient have a shower and answering my phone at the same time? If it's urgent there's always a work number.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If customers shouldn't answer their mobiles when at the counter then neither should the person dealing with customers.
    Is it possible to give her your work number?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum should already have my work number, I remember typing up all our contact numbers and putting it on her fridge. Maybe it's a good time to update the list and put it somewhere a bit more visible. The thing is it wasn't that urgent in the first place and if it was she should have rung up directory assistance for the number. Grrr she just doesn't understand.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Incredibly unprofessional and many work places simply wouldn't allow it. if it is an emergency, people can always contact the place of work and leave a message.