+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newmum2012 View Post
    if I allowed my husband to use a bottle filled with my breast milk feed DS daily would this still reduce the risk.

I read the statement that breast milk reduces the risk not so much how the child us fed

I only ask because my husband really wants to be part of the feeding/bonding and it was recommended that husband can feed DS with a bottle just with my milk in it??
    I'm sure it absolutely would. Not all breastfed babies will take a bottle though and there are other ways to bond. My daughter is very fussy but she enjoys cuddles and walks around the garden with her dad.
    It is helpful if babies can take a bottle in my opinion but yeah.. not always possible.
    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newmum2012 View Post
    if I allowed my husband to use a bottle filled with my breast milk feed DS daily would this still reduce the risk.

I read the statement that breast milk reduces the risk not so much how the child us fed

I only ask because my husband really wants to be part of the feeding/bonding and it was recommended that husband can feed DS with a bottle just with my milk in it??
    I *think* the theory is that breast fed babies often wake more (breast milk digests quicker than formula) which stops bub from going into really deep sleep which can lead to a baby having apneas (sp?)

Breast milk vomit is also often lighter and smoother which decreases the chance of asphyxiation.

I find this 'fact' hard to believe tbh,
    A study released last year or so suggested that babies who die from sids have issues with their seratonin levels which in turn affects their sleep / wake ability and breathing control during deep sleep
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    I *think* the theory is that breast fed babies often wake more (breast milk digests quicker than formula) which stops bub from going into really deep sleep which can lead to a baby having apneas (sp?)

Breast milk vomit is also often lighter and smoother which decreases the chance of asphyxiation.

A study released last year or so suggested that babies who die from sids have issues with their seratonin levels which in turn affects their sleep / wake ability and breathing control during deep sleep
    I heard that but I don't think that changes the fact that breastfed babies are at half the risk

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    Last edited by bumMum; 18-05-2012 at 18:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post

And what's to say that breastmilk doesn't help regulate serotonin? There are hormones in breast milk and a lot of those pathways are intertwined.

Also many factors would be involved in Sids it wouldn't all come down to serotonin.