+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    Actually, it should read "not breastfeeding doubles the risk of SIDS". -breastfeeding being the norm that alternatives should be measured against.
    I think they would avoid language that implies fault or apportions blame which I believe that does.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I think they would avoid language that implies fault or apportions blame which I believe that does.
    This will explain what the PP is trying to say.
    http://bfmed.wordpress.com/2010/05/0...-our-language/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by April78 View Post
    Agree with you.

They really don't know what does cause SIDS and I'm sure they will change the guidelines over the years just like everything else.

I certainly wouldn't terrify women that can't or don't want to BF that there babies are more at risk. There is no possibly way to quantify by how much more at risk they are.

My DH had a friend die at the age of 18 of adult SIDS so who knows what age we aren't at risk.
    I think the evidence relating to this is actually pretty consistent and they have controlled for other factors such as socioeconomic status, if the mother smokes etc. Presenting the facts should never be avoided in case it makes people feel guilty!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I'll hold my opinion of this till I know more. We all know breast feeding is good for a baby but until they know the cause of SIDS and weather it is the formula itself or how we use it or maybe it is something else, maybe the bottles we use. I definately need more info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    This will explain what the PP is trying to say.
    http://bfmed.wordpress.com/2010/05/0...-our-language/
    I understand that looking at the biological norm as the baseline is preferable, however if you are not able to perform that biological norm, the language of blame would certainly resonate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I understand that looking at the biological norm as the baseline is preferable, however if you are not able to perform that biological norm, the language of blame would certainly resonate.
    But if you are unable to do something, why would you feel guilt/blame for outcomes arising from that? And if you have chosen not to, surely you have considered the risks and benefits and decided what is best for you.

It is not a blame game, and i think women are strong enough to be given the facts and then weigh up the options.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (18-05-2012),Etienne  (18-05-2012),headoverfeet  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    But if you are unable to do something, why would you feel guilt/blame for outcomes arising from that? And if you have chosen not to, surely you have considered the risks and benefits and decided what is best for you.

It is not a blame game, and i think women are strong enough to be given the facts and then weigh up the options.
    I would imagine that any mother who has lost a child to SIDS would feel blamed by that starement if she had not breastfed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (06-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would imagine that any mother who has lost a child to SIDS would feel blamed by that starement if she had not breastfed.
    I can understand this although I would hate to see the SIDS stats rise because we have to tip toe. I totally agree there has to be tact and sensitivity, but I do believe if something is a SIDS risk it should be included.

I lost my brother at 6 months old to SIDS. Back then, my parents were told to sleep him on his stomach, that was what was recommended back then. He died. My parents would never advocate that SIDS leave out the recommendation to sleep babies on their backs to decrease the chances of a baby dying, in fact they were at me from pregnancy how important it is.

It's a painful subject, but we do need more knowledge. It does include advice and acknowledges that not all women CAN breastfeed

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

86cin  (18-05-2012),Bubbles10  (21-05-2012),twotrunks  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    if I allowed my husband to use a bottle filled with my breast milk feed DS daily would this still reduce the risk.

I read the statement that breast milk reduces the risk not so much how the child us fed

I only ask because my husband really wants to be part of the feeding/bonding and it was recommended that husband can feed DS with a bottle just with my milk in it??

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by April78 View Post
    Agree with you.

They really don't know what does cause SIDS and I'm sure they will change the guidelines over the years just like everything else.

I certainly wouldn't terrify women that can't or don't want to BF that there babies are more at risk. There is no possibly way to quantify by how much more at risk they are.

My DH had a friend die at the age of 18 of adult SIDS so who knows what age we aren't at risk.
    It's most important that women whose babies are at increased risk are informed of this, so that they can be vigilant to other risk factors.

Not telling women that formula feeding increases the risk of SIDS so as to not offend those who can't is rather like not suggesting that walking is good for your health for fear of offending people without legs. I'm sure those who can't understand that they are a small minority and that those who can should be encouraged to do so.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (18-05-2012)