+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks felicity, sometimes I wonder if we made the right decision to change but I don't think I'll have the answer till we meet with our current FS, then I hope it's not too late. Congratulations to you? Always great to see a success story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael3 View Post
    Thanks felicity, sometimes I wonder if we made the right decision to change but I don't think I'll have the answer till we meet with our current FS, then I hope it's not too late. Congratulations to you? Always great to see a success story.
    Although I didn't get that success on my first cycle, the successful one was actually the first (and only) one that I had done at IVFA Kogarah/Maroubra.

My FS at IVFA Westmead was great, I couldn't fault his treatment or explanations at all. I followed him all over Sydney for appointments (Westmead, Liverpool, Castle Hill, Haymarket) depending on what day it was.
    I was upset when he recommended I transfer to someone else for my final cycle (changing FS and location for procedures it was part of the "tweak everything" approach we were resorting to for our 8th stim cycle).
    I also had no identifiable fertility issues, so I understand how frustrating repeated failure can be. My FS tried using things that can't hurt and might help, like DHEA. He OK'd most of the extra supplements I wanted to try (suggested by Dr Google and/or BH for egg quality), except the ginseng I'd accidentally got in my CoQ10, and he gave a reason for not using ginseng. He supported our decisions for sensible extras like hi-mag for sperm from one of our donors, assisted hatching, PolScope (for 1 cycle to check on eggs). With our results he advised against PGD - and we made him reconsider, restate and reexplain that every cycle, just to make sure. He suggested and performed NK testing after 2 failed transfers (3 stims). My results came back equivocal, so he put me on the treatment just to be on the safe side.
    So all of that is just to say again, stick with the FS you like, who treats you like an individual and pays attention to your individual results to inform decisions for the next cycle.

Our successful cycle was (yet another) 2x morula transfer on day 5.

Genea wasn't an option for us as we'd exhausted our choice of related sperm donors and prefer de-identified for unrelated rather than advertising for someone (and Genea don't do anonymous sperm).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

Lillac  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Rachel, sorry you're having such a hard time. This is a tough road.

I'd agree with what others have said, you can have the best technology and doctors, and it can still be luck of the draw.

I'm with Genea (but one of the smaller clinics) and i find them wonderful. Nurses are great, and i love my FS, she is very caring. We've done 3 cycles so far, 1 was cancelled, 1 fresh and 1 frozen. We got 5 frozen A grade hatching blasties out of the first stim cycle. The last two transfers have ended in chemical pregnancies for me. The dr just said its unfortunately, luck of the draw. Sometimes you can do everything right, and it still just doesn't work out. We were pretty impressed that we got so many the first cycle (with ICSI) because having some frozen does take a bit of the pressure off.

I personally, would stay with the clinic you feel the most comfortable with, and where you feel like you can trust your dr and have faith in them. If they explain things better where you are, maybe its worth sticking with them for another cycle. This last cycle could have just been unlucky. You could sit down with your FS and try and work out what you can do to change the protocol for next time. Maybe even try ICSI. It's always better to be somewhere where you don't feel like a number, and that they care about your wellbeing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

romaverona  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    felicity wow that's fantastic news. The better embryo we transferred this round was a morula, good to hear there is hope! Which FS did you see at IVFA (if u don't mind me asking) just to know for a future option? We weren't sure how many to transfer this time especially since most clinics prefer one. We always were afraid of having twins but we decided on two because the pain of it not working far exceeded the fear twins...come to think of it twins would be wonderful!!

Thanks to everyone for your help and support, you have provided us with a lot of info to think about. Good luck to all of you on this journey and congrats to all the wonderful BFPs! If you have anymore thoughts will be glad to take them on board.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 07-01-2013 at 18:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael3 View Post
    Which FS did you see at IVFA (if u don't mind me asking) just to know for a future option?
    Dr Andrew Kan was my fantastic FS for my first 7 stims (6 transfers). (He also consults at Kogarah.)
    My last cycle was with Prof. Michael Chapman.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Rachael3; 07-01-2013 at 18:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Prof was very nice, and I'm sure he's competent, but he wasn't really much use to me. I'd already done enough stims and had enough questions answered to know what was going on.
    I don't think he did much different to what we would have done with my FS. The last cycle was pretty much exactly what I expected it would be.

The only difference I noticed was that the Prof's ET returned a little bit of endometrium to the dish on the transfer catheter. That, and the 160 km round trip for appointments was certainly different (Westmead is only half the distance).

He also had the opinions/suggestions of most of the IVFA Drs to go on, since we had our FS present our case to their monthly meeting of doctors and FSs-in-training prior to the 7th stim by way of getting a second (and more) opinion. He heard all the discussions and debate about our treatment options first hand.

But he was able to support and reassure us about our obstetrician's advice re: twin risks increasing a heap after 38 wks, so that was very useful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rachel, sorry to hear about your dilemma it is a tough one and I'm not sure what the right answer is. I guess I agree with the others about staying with the FS and clinic you are most comfortable with and can develop trust in. Your second cycle may have been pure and simple bad luck this time but I would expect more answers next time.

I am with IVFA Bondi and So far have nothing but good things to say about them (and Maroubra clinic) . I have no experience with Genea but I must say they run a really good marketing campaign with the ads and celebs praising them! Itschard not to think of them as 'world leaders ' but in reality the IVFA doctors and technologies are just as experienced (IMO) and very similar to genea. It's just that IvF is not always going to work .

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rachael I just thought I'd jump in in say I am/was seeing prof chapman. Although he was my referred fs I would have seen him personally only 4 times thought out my 2 iui cycles and my only ivf cycle. He did do my blastocyst transfer though and I didn't have a drop of blood or anything after. Whereas with my iui both nurses managed to scratch my cervix a little.

He was pretty good as far as he suggested we go straight to icsi and he was also very upfront and informative about the procedure. I feel very blessed to be successful with my first icsi cycle and we have one blasto on ice.

I still think u should stay with a clinic u have confidence in so u can rest assured both u and them have done all they can.

Gl and lots of baby dust

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Lillac and Motherwillbe appreciate your time and your comments. We will stick with our current FS for the next few cycles (sense my optimism). I'm keen to see if he suggests ICSI this time. I guess he didn't think we needed it from the results of our 1st cycle with IVFA. The embryologist at Genea was surprised about the poor fertilization rate as she said my DH had 88% motility (swimming straight). If he doesn't I will suggest it, want to give us the best chance we can. Hope this all ends soon