+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default thyroid

does anyone know anything about thyroids and reading and high or low,

cause i found some old paperwork and this was from like 6yr ago when we were trying and mine said tsh was 4.10 the yr before then 4.58 in 07 and they said was normal, btu apperently to get pregnant they like it around 2 or something
    i gotta get more blood work tomorrow for my shakes so im gonna ask to get checked again, as im not sure if losing weigh lowers it cause somehow im got pregnant with scarlet and by then i had lost 20kgs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi yep it needs to be about 2. I would get it checked out but be aware sometimes Medicare won't cover the cost. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    yea got blood test tomorrow so will def get done while there, it was in 2007 when i was last checked, i had a baby in 2010 and never thought to ask does losing weight lower your chances of having it

Thanks
    Reviews
    A TSH is 4 is definitely higher than desirable, as untreated hypothyroidism (particularly in the first trimester, before the foetus can produce its ownthyroid hormones) is associated with an increased risk of miscarriage and lower child IQ.

Before conceiving, it's recommended to stabilise your TSH to between 1 and 2 by taking thyroxine. Then once you do conceive, it's generally necessary to immediately increase your thyroxine dose by up to 50% to maintain that TSH.

Generally, hypothyroidism can be easily diagnosed and managed by your GP, and the medicine isn't too expensive - mine costs $29 for an approx 6 month supply.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think losing weight will affect your hypothyrodism, as it is generally a result of your body developing antibodies that affect thyroid hormone generation. Based on what my GP told me, it's not a case of having done anything wrong - it's just one of those things that some people are unlucky and develop (although there does seem to be a genetic influence). Fortunately, the medication is easy to take, inexpensive, and effective!
    Last edited by Gentoo; 17-05-2012 at 23:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I'll pm you a link to a forum that has a lot of info on what your levels should be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loving6 could you send me the link too please? I'd luv to look at the info! Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    yea so weird for me as drs have always told me its been fine, im getting bloods today anyways so will see, i ave 2 kiddies a 8yr old and 2yr old, and no drs never mentioned it, nor have i ever had any misscarriages that im aware of anyways, my period is always pretty light, some clotting sometime but not much just the normal stuff. tnx for your help

oh and would love the pm thanks so i can look at levels