+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default low BMI and pregnant

I have just found out i am 8 weeks pregnant with our much wanted 2nd baby! Had early dating scan yesterday and so far so good.

Went for a check up this morning at GP and he weighed me and did a BMI which he sad was 16 and that classed me as quite underweight.
    He said i should try and start gaining some weight as he looked back at my history and saw i weighed 51kgs when i found out i was 6 weeks pregnant with DD. He said he would like to see me at a healthier weight like that. He also said if i gain 25 kgs during this pregnancy it would be a GOOD thing.
    I dont even know what i weighed at the end of my first pregnancy.

I dont have any metabolic or eating disorders. My MCHN sent me for blood tests about 6mths ago to rule anything out for my weightloss.
    Im a clean bill of health. It's not like i deliberatley lost the weight. I dont even weigh myself. I dont really care about that stuff.

Now i have to go back fortnightly for weigh-in's and routine blood pressure/pee tests. I feel like im under some sort of pressure to gain weight!
    I know my body and im pretty sure it knows what it's doing. Sooner or later i will pile on some extra kgs for bub's (if my body think's it needs to!)
    Trying not to stress over it. Every pregnancy is different, right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't stress, I was 51 kgs at 9 months pregnant! I only gained 6kgs in total. I have a healthy chunky 2.5 year old. So long as you are eating healthy and taking your vitamins you should be ok. It's actually a bit old fashioned to weigh people nowadays. The only thing I found was I was very weak post partum as I didn't gain any body fat. I don't think you should feel under pressure to gain 25 kgs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was underweight according to my BMI too at my 20 week hosp checkup. The midwife told me that my BMI was 18.6 and at 20 weeks was not good. I hadn't gained any weight (I lost 3kg before 12 weeks so had only gained tar back by 20 weeks.) my OB said to eat good healthy but heart meals (pasta, sandwiches, etc which I was already) and my body would gain what it needed. I ended up gaining 7kg and had a healthy 3kg baby and everything was fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    I was underweight according to my BMI too at my 20 week hosp checkup. The midwife told me that my BMI was 18.6 and at 20 weeks was not good. I hadn't gained any weight (I lost 3kg before 12 weeks so had only gained tar back by 20 weeks.) my OB said to eat good healthy but heart meals (pasta, sandwiches, etc which I was already) and my body would gain what it needed. I ended up gaining 7kg and had a healthy 3kg baby and everything was fine.

Healthy but **hearty meals.