+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cars that run on gas?

Just wanting to know if they are safe? We are looking at purchasing a second hand car and it runs on gas and petrol, is there anything in particular we should be checking?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Our Falcon has both. Loved it. Gas is soooo much cheaper and you get good mileage on it (is that the proper term? Im not a car girl so I dunno lol). We bought the car second hand it it had already been converted and we got all the paperwork with the car to say it was done properly etc. We've owned the car for 3yrs now and its only now started playing up on gas so we have switched back to running on petrol mostly. I think the gas tanks have some kind of a fault after a certain amount of time...will ask DP when he gets home later.
    You do need to switch between using both....something about keeping the petrol 'side' from drying up..or something? Haha (can you tell im not into cars at all?) Our car wont start on gas, so we start it on petrol, get it to high revs then flick the switch to gas. No problems

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd take it to a gas mechanic & get them to check it out.

My car has gone through alot of injectors too & runs poorly when it's cold (stalls sometimes)

But it certainly is cheaper to run.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Our Falcon has both. Loved it. Gas is soooo much cheaper and you get good mileage on it (is that the proper term? Im not a car girl so I dunno lol). We bought the car second hand it it had already been converted and we got all the paperwork with the car to say it was done properly etc. We've owned the car for 3yrs now and its only now started playing up on gas so we have switched back to running on petrol mostly. I think the gas tanks have some kind of a fault after a certain amount of time...will ask DP when he gets home later.
    You do need to switch between using both....something about keeping the petrol 'side' from drying up..or something? Haha (can you tell im not into cars at all?) Our car wont start on gas, so we start it on petrol, get it to high revs then flick the switch to gas. No problems

Hope that helps.
    All duel cars I know of are like that (eg if they run on gas and petrol they have to be started on petrol they switched to gas) so you always need to have some petrol in the tank. And be sure to run it on petrol every now & then aswell.

Also it's really bad (apparently) to let the car run out of either, so don't run it on gas until it stalls & then switch it to petrol.. Like someone I know did

Also gas is a bit different to petrol (in my car anyway) unlike petrol where the car will run smoothly until you have hardly anything left in the tank, my car runs smoothly until I have about 20-30% left in the tank, then it looses acceleration & ideals poorly (could be my injectors though not sure)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Converted Gas cars can run with a lack in power (depending on the system installed). Cars that are straight gas from factory are pretty good as they were manufactured and tuned to suit.

Either way if you are purchasing a gas car you should ensure that all relevant paperwork is provided, everything is with service dates and I would also advise having someone run over the system to make sure it's a job that was done properly.

Depending on the gas conversion that was done (if it is a converted car) , will determine if the car has a loss in power and torque or if the car runs with the same performance. A car that has a mixer will be down on power and torque but a car that has a vapour injected system will still have the same power. The paperwork will tell you which system was put in. Good luck =)
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 18-05-2012 at 14:41. Reason: I shouldn't post on no sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone