View Poll Results: If you weaned your baby before 6 months of age, what was the main reason?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • sore/cracked nipples

2 9.09%
  • low supply (or concern baby not getting enough)

12 54.55%
  • mastitis

1 4.55%
  • severe nipple pain (thrush, vasospasm, dermatitis)

0 0%
  • attachment problems (including flat/inverted nipples)

5 22.73%
  • medical condition - mother (inc. PND)

5 22.73%
  • medical condition - baby

2 9.09%
  • return to work

5 22.73%
  • social pressure (inc. feeding in public discomfort)

1 4.55%
  • didnt want to bf in the first place (felt pressureto start)

3 13.64%
  • wanted partner to help

0 0%
  • fussy/unsettled baby

2 9.09%
  • food or other intolerance affecting baby through milk (inc. reflux/colic)

1 4.55%
  • too tiring/mum too run down

5 22.73%
  • just sick of it

2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For three months I pumped 8 times a day to give my ds1 some breast milk, usually only around 30mls per feed. We had to go on a long trip for a wedding, so I decided it was time to give up the pump and just let him take what he could from the breast. By the time we got back from our trip there was no milk left at all
    ds2 was fully breast fed for 3 weeks...and I'm now back on the pump. My supply is slightly better this time around, but still not good enough for a ravenous little boy!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Gee i ticked a lot of answers, 5 or 6
    Undiagnosed PND, the effort was tiring me out, my supply was low, DD2 wasn't gaining weight and we later discovered she was dairy intolerant. She also had a neck problem (very lopsided head) which caused her to feed badly and vomit a lot, I spent a lot of time at the infant chiro fixing that.

It was really doomed to failure, my BF relationship with DD2 However we survived and she is thriving now

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I think a lot of women 'wean' because they aren't prepared for just how difficult breastfeeding is. At some point they give their baby a bottle for what ever reason and presto - they get a contented little baby which is very alluring. Who among us doesn't want their baby to be content and more predictable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I think a lot of women 'wean' because they aren't prepared for just how difficult breastfeeding is. At some point they give their baby a bottle for what ever reason and presto - they get a contented little baby which is very alluring. Who among us doesn't want their baby to be content and more predictable?
    I definitely agree with this, while it doesn't apply to me, I see many people stop because they're exhausted, especially in the first few weeks where they're establishing their supply.

I'm all for 24/7 home visit LCs being funded, maternity hospitals being resurrected so mums have on hand help for 2 weeks minimum if they wish to stay... husbands learning skills so they can be a real help when the family go home.

Just having someone to take your baby so you can get an hour or twos sleep makes a huge difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Be careful! This fits with what Clarabelle was saying in that other thread that got her crucified! (That many women COULD successfully breastfeed if they tried harder).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have not weaned yet.. However it has been a struggle for me to feed as long as I have and DD is only 8wo.. I'm impressed with myself for lasting this long!

I plan to exclusively BF until she is 3 months at which time I have to (financial reasons) return to work part time and we will introduce formula and comp feed a couple of her daytime feeds.

Ive made this decision as expressing is a lot of work and I honestly don't want to do it. I'd rather spend time with my DD and my partner without a pump attached to me every night when I would get home from work so there would be enough for her the next day while I'm working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by betherina View Post
    For three months I pumped 8 times a day to give my ds1 some breast milk, usually only around 30mls per feed. We had to go on a long trip for a wedding, so I decided it was time to give up the pump and just let him take what he could from the breast. By the time we got back from our trip there was no milk left at all
    ds2 was fully breast fed for 3 weeks...and I'm now back on the pump. My supply is slightly better this time around, but still not good enough for a ravenous little boy!
    that's terrible news both for you and your son. have you asked the dr of any others ways to increase your supply.

your doing a great job

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Be careful! This fits with what Clarabelle was saying in that other thread that got her crucified! (That many women COULD successfully breastfeed if they tried harder).
    Well I would have to agree with her but that does not mean for one moment that I think these women haven't tried 'hard enough' etc. Breastfeeding can be frikking hard work, seriously, over the top, ridiculously stressful and hard work and who am I to say when someone is at the end of their limit? No doubt had I perservered with my first I would have been able to BF but I just couldn't do it and I was at the end and I had to give myself permission to stop trying so I did and I expressed instead. It was just too hard. So I've been there, I've felt/feel the pain and have no ill judgement towards any woman who tried but didn't make it, only sympathy. For my second I was more prepared but sheesh, I wasn't expecting a baby to feed literally non-stop for the first 3 months and barely slept. I used to be mod but one of the reasons I resigned was because I couldn't try and bf my DD as well as commit to mod duties. I did knuckle down and was absolutely determined that I was going to succeed this time and I did but it cost a lot (in terms of my own physical and mental health, time with my DF and DS) but it was worth it and I had absolute faith it would come good in the end. I'm still going strong at 17 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Because I was going back to work, and because at the time I felt like for my sanity and babies happiness it was the right thing to do.

I *could* of tried harder, now that I think of it, at the time I didnt feel like I had anything left to give. I was emotionally and physically exhausted, as was DH, and DS was screaming constantly. Lol, if anyone had tried telling me to try harder it wouldnt of been a pretty scene! I was emotinal, hormonal, a new mum with little support, I did the best I could. I honestly believe that.

I dunno how long I will go with No.2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I weaned at 6 weeks for a number of reasons.

1. I had twins
    2. My milk didn't come in for almost a week. L lost 25%, A lost 20% of body weight in that time.
    3. L never ever attached properly and never (not once) sucked properly or suckled/comfort fed for longer the 2 mins (times) and fell asleep again to wake up scream 20 mins later. Around the clock.
    4. A was awake and sucking constantly from 1am to 5am everynight for the first 2 weeks.
    5. I was exhausted and never got more then 20 mins sleep in that first 6 weeks.

In hiensite I should have disregarded everything every midwife, GP & LC told me and expressed & bottle fed from the start.

After the first 6 weeks I wasn't in a state of mind to even consider expressing a single drop. I hated BF. I hated what I put my family through. I hated every single noise either DD made because I knew any second they'd be needing me again. I hated being a mum, I didn't want to hold them or be anywhere near them. All they did was scream and deprive me of sleep.

Everyone thought PND & insisted on medication. My mother was the only one who stood by me and supported my decision to switch to formula.

My milk dried up in 3 days.

I cried because I'd failed my girls.

With in a week I had for the first time ever 'bonded' with them while tandem FF.

It wasn't PND, it was a failure of establish BF. Maybe if I 'tried harder' I might have succeed. I may have also ruined my marriage and harmed my baby's. Who knows.

I tried as hard as I could, and yes, it wasn't enough. Only once i had forgiven myself for that, was I able to establish a bond with my baby's.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheWhiteKnight For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (17-05-2012),Gothel  (17-05-2012)