View Poll Results: If you weaned your baby before 6 months of age, what was the main reason?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • sore/cracked nipples

2 9.09%
  • low supply (or concern baby not getting enough)

12 54.55%
  • mastitis

1 4.55%
  • severe nipple pain (thrush, vasospasm, dermatitis)

0 0%
  • attachment problems (including flat/inverted nipples)

5 22.73%
  • medical condition - mother (inc. PND)

5 22.73%
  • medical condition - baby

2 9.09%
  • return to work

5 22.73%
  • social pressure (inc. feeding in public discomfort)

1 4.55%
  • didnt want to bf in the first place (felt pressureto start)

3 13.64%
  • wanted partner to help

0 0%
  • fussy/unsettled baby

2 9.09%
  • food or other intolerance affecting baby through milk (inc. reflux/colic)

1 4.55%
  • too tiring/mum too run down

5 22.73%
  • just sick of it

2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default re post - If you weaned your baby at less than 6 months of age, what was the main rea

The poll on the last thread didnt work so this is a re post:

This thread
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...-breastfeedingreally got me thinking about why mothers stop breastfeeding, and whether we really understand the underlying issues and barriers to breastfeeding. If we understand these barriers, then we are in a much better place to know how to support those mums who wanted to continue.

It seems that some mothers wean due to some really difficult and complex problems that have lead to a level of physical and/or emotional suffering that are too extreme for the mother to bear. But then, some other mothers choose to wean for very different reasons relating to things as varied as social pressure to return to work. Where do the majority of mothers sit on this spectrum?

If you are willing, have a vote on the poll and tell us your story.. The poll is multi choice, so if there was more than one main reason click all that apply to you (also same deal if you have more than one baby)
    Last edited by purplecat; 17-05-2012 at 13:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if you would call it "weaning". I tried desperately for 15 weeks to establish breastfeeding with DD, but never got anywhere (despite seeing 3 LCs, GPs, MCHN, 3 days in BF clinic...). At 15 weeks she refused the breast altogether and that was that.

My milk never came in, DD was starving and dehydrated at 5 days old so (on LC and midwife advice) I started giving formula after every BF and expressing round the clock, followed all the advice (as best I could when most of it was opposing) took all the medication and supplements and naturopathic treatments available.

Having done a lot of research since, I think the problem was that DD wasn't getting anything out of the breast - she was attached ok but wasn't doing the right thing to extract the milk. The only time my tiny supply increased slightly was when I was expressing 8 times a day. The problem was, not one of the professionals even contemplated this issue, so looking back it was all kind of pointless, and so frustrating that I tried so hard to get help but the help was pretty useless.

The problems probably started by the disastrous first BF after DD was born - the midwives were having trouble getting my placenta out, and told me to BF DD, but didn't help me, so I put DD near my breast and she viciously latched on... but not properly, and I had no idea what I was doing and was too exhausted after the birth (27 hours) to really focus or worry about anything. On top of that, I didn't have any colostrum until about day 3, so things just started badly and got worse. FOB was also sick with man-flu. I literally didn't sleep for a week (I don't mean 2 hours broken sleep, I mean NONE) with a screaming hungry baby and a sick partner. It was an awful awful time, and I felt really robbed of the nice newborn/BF experience that others had with their babies.

Hindsight is great - I can identify a few things I could have done differently that may have helped... but you do the best you can with what you have at the time. 5 years on I don't think about it much anymore, but when I do I still feel really sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I weaned dd at 6 months as she was unwell and would only drink from a bottle. I weaned ds at 4 months as I had to return to work and I hated expressing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't at all... because I didn't want to.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Angiepop  (17-05-2012),halloweendee  (17-05-2012),Lil M  (17-05-2012),Purple Lily  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't want to in the first place but DH persuaded me to try for a week, so I did and hated it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I weaned at about 5 months because we were heading back to do IVF and you can't BF while doing it.

Also because I have supply issues and I have to work really really hard to keep my supply going. I was pumping twice a day everyday along with herbs and sustagen. It really was alot of work for me and I was so tired of pumping all the time.
    Last edited by LillyPonds; 17-05-2012 at 12:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had plan to breastfeed DD for 6 mths as that's when I planned to return and that's how long I felt comfortable doing it for. We both took to breastfeeding really easily and I enjoyed it. We ended up weaning DD at 4 mths because at every feed she'd latch on and drink for about 1 min before pulling off and screaming then latching back on, this would happen over and over and I felt like she wasn't getting enough out. I'd pump both breast for over an hour and would get like 50 mls of milk. So we switched over to formula and she took to it straight away and was much more happy. I'm pretty proud of my effort because out of my whole circle of mummy friends I breast fed the longest. I plan on doing it with our next child and hopefully will last longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried breast feeding for 4weeks. It was harder then I thought. More painful then I thought. I had thrush. So did dd. She had a tongue tie and poor attachment. FOB was still around and wasn't supportive he was actually very belittling of me because I was finding it difficult. So between 4-5wks I bottle and ebf but then by 5weeks she was exclusively bottle fed. If I have more children I would hope to have a more supportive partner and be better prepared to establish breast feeding longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    weaned both at 3 months (actually they self weaned).
    always had to comp feed due to breast reduction and they decided the boob was too much hard work compared to sucking a bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't really know I could select any poll options.

Basically, I weaned because of a number of things.

I was 19 and not confident in my ability to be a decent mother. I was finding breastfeeding painful and my baby fed for long periods of time (like an hour or more) very regularly (every 1-2 hours). I couldn't feel let down, and couldn't tell when a breast was empty... so I was kind of just sticking her on a side and hoping for the best.

Oneday I was feeding my daughter upstairs at my grandparent's house (they didn't want to see me do it, and I respected that because they're old...). I came down about an hour later. Waiting for me at hte bottom of the stairs was my Dad and my grandmother. My Nan was telling me how I was doing it wrong. How it was 15 mins and that's it - after that baby, you're cut off. The pain of breastfeeding combined with their criticisms (and they way it was done - with me standing on the stairs with nowhere to go) made me seriously lack faith in my ability to nourish my child.

Later that night when she was crying and I couldn't get her to sleep, Mum suggested a bottle. I gave her one.

She slept soundly and the entire night through.

I slowly made the switch from then on, over a 6 week period, from breast to bottle.