+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default If you weaned your baby before 6 months of age, what was the main reason?

THE POLL DIDNT WORK SO HAVE RE POSTED WITH POLL

This thread
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...-breastfeeding

really got me thinking about why mothers stop breastfeeding, and whether we really understand the underlying issues and barriers to breastfeeding. If we understand these barriers, then we are in a much better place to know how to support those mums who wanted to continue.

It seems that some mothers wean due to some really difficult and complex problems that have lead to a level of physical and/or emotional suffering that are too extreme for the mother to bear. But then, some other mothers choose to wean for very different reasons relating to things as varied as social pressure to return to work. Where do the majority of mothers sit on this spectrum?

If you are willing, have a vote on the poll and tell us your story..
    Last edited by purplecat; 17-05-2012 at 10:48. Reason: POLL STUFF UP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cant see the poll and i weaned just after 6 months but i'll tell my story anyway.

I weaned DS because i returned to work. I tried really really hard to keep pumping morning tea, lunch time and afternoon tea and send EBM to day care for him and breastfed morning and night. I spent a small fortune on a double electric breast pump too so i could do it for as long as possible but day by day it was just getting harder and harder to get a bottle.

I struggled letting go as i really wanted to succeed with expressing.

Everyone around me was really supportive, they werent pressuring for me to give up and just do formula but the werent pressuring me to continue expressing. They just gave me supportive, gentle words like 'you have done a wonderful job for a girl who never thought she'd ever breastfeed', 'you gave him a lovely 6 months of feeding' when i felt down for not being able to express. I dont know how others would feel about those comments but to me, and the soft, reassuring tone they said it to me in just made me feel at peace with whichever way i wanted to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Because I hated it. I weaned DS at 5 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Because DD hated it, wasn't a fan of milk in general. was always a struggle to get either into her.
    I was devastated because I wanted to have nice BFing cuddles but she always was pulling away and pushing me away.
    Weaned at 5 months