+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hmmm. Perhaps you could speak to your MACH nurse and get some ideas on foods (different recipes or formats).

Good luck..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is 5/5.30 really early? My dd is a 5am waker, always has been, I can't see how she can be called an early riser in a problematic sense. My nephew sleeps from 9pm to 3am, waking twice in that time, and just turned 1. He is what I would call an early riser. The birds are chirping by 5, the roosters are crowing by 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried re settling him? Or even putting black cardboard on his window so his room is a lot darker?
    When bub goes from waking up around 7am, 5 am IS an early start lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jilm View Post
    Hi All,

My 10 month old has followed Tizzie's methods from Save our Sleep since he was three months, and has always slept (pretty much) 7pm-7am.

Just prior to Easter, and then three weeks ago, he suffered from Gastro and during this time we had to change his formula (to novalac) and his feeding/sleeping suffered as a result. He slowed eating (which I understand) and started waking between 3-5am for a feed and then would sleep.

Now he is all better however he now is ravenous and drinks his entire bottle allocation (all four bottles on Tizzies suggested routines) and wakes every morning between 5-5:30am.

So, my question is... has anyone tried the early riser technique of leaving baby to re-settle in the morning?

The case study in the book suggests leaving him until he falls back to sleep, even if it is past his usual wake time?!?! My boy isnt one to nap well, and is not the type to fall asleep on the floor when playing and I imagine he could stay in his cot and cry probably till midday if we left him - Im just not sure I want to do that.
    My bub went through the same, he had gastro a while back for 10 whole days, he went off his food and was constantly waking through the night and when he recovered he was always hungry, it took him a good few weeks to get back into his routine. My guess is he is waking because he is hungry, he's just catching up from when he was sick and will hopefully just settle back into his routine soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Is 5/5.30 really early? My dd is a 5am waker, always has been, I can't see how she can be called an early riser in a problematic sense. My nephew sleeps from 9pm to 3am, waking twice in that time, and just turned 1. He is what I would call an early riser. The birds are chirping by 5, the roosters are crowing by 5.
    I don't think 5-5.30 is too early, my ds is 13mths and goes to bed at 6.30-7pm and sleeps through waking between 5-6am. We have to get up at 5.45am to start our day on weekdays so it's fine that he wakes that early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jilm View Post
    Hi All,

My 10 month old has followed Tizzie's methods from Save our Sleep since he was three months, and has always slept (pretty much) 7pm-7am.

Just prior to Easter, and then three weeks ago, he suffered from Gastro and during this time we had to change his formula (to novalac) and his feeding/sleeping suffered as a result. He slowed eating (which I understand) and started waking between 3-5am for a feed and then would sleep.

Now he is all better however he now is ravenous and drinks his entire bottle allocation (all four bottles on Tizzies suggested routines) and wakes every morning between 5-5:30am.

So, my question is... has anyone tried the early riser technique of leaving baby to re-settle in the morning?

The case study in the book suggests leaving him until he falls back to sleep, even if it is past his usual wake time?!?! My boy isnt one to nap well, and is not the type to fall asleep on the floor when playing and I imagine he could stay in his cot and cry probably till midday if we left him - Im just not sure I want to do that.
    It sounds like perhaps he is waking because of hunger? Maybe because he was sick, he needs to play 'catch up' and gain some calories back, and is trying to feed more to do so - especially if he isn't eating a lot of solids. When you say he drinks his entire bottle allocation, do you mean that he drinks it all and wants more? Personally, I would offer him as much milk as he wants at each feed until he is full & doesn't want any more. I think in SOS, Tizzie gives the example of a baby who was hungry because the parents were feeding the baby a 'set' amount of milk, rather than feeding the baby until it was full - she suggested always giving baby enough milk until they have had a full feed & don't want more.

I also used SOS, but I did use it loosely and altered it to fit my DD's needs. I found that she needed more milk feeds during the day than what was suggested in the book, so I kept her on 3 hourly feeds for ages, when it was suggested in the book that you drop them down to 4 hourly feeds. This was just her natural pattern, so I followed her cues, but still guided her into a routine that worked for her, and based it on what was suggested in SOS. I would perhaps try giving your DS extra feeds during the day/ a dream feed if you would like, to see if that helps?

I understand and agree that at this age, you want them to start relying on solids more than milk - but if your DS is waking up hungry, perhaps he needs more milk in the mean time, until he gets more interested in solids - maybe drop him back to 3 hourly feeds, or however it will fit well in his routine, to add an extra bottle in there somewhere, so that he gets his fill in the day & isn't waking for it at night?

In the mean time, it would be good to continue to encourage feeding on solids as much as possible. I don't really have any suggestions, sorry - my DD always ate anything and everything I put in front of her, lol. What do you do with a bub who doesn't want to eat but is waking hungry? If you google Annabel Karmel, I found she had some GREAT recipes and ideas for feeding for babies and toddlers, and my DD loved her recipes at that age.

The only other thing I can think of is the cold weather - in SOS, Tizzie also suggests that babies often wake around 4 - 5 am because they're cold - do you think that might have something to do with it?

I hope you come up with the solution to you bub's early waking, good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all and thank you for your helpful insights and suggestions.

Well yesterday we added a further 50ml to his first and last feeds, which he pretty much drank albeit a few drops. This was on top of SOS suggested milk volumes.

It has worked and during the day he took a slightly longer morning sleep (2hrs instead of 1.5hrs) and last night slept through till about 6:30.

As many suggested, Im guessing he is just hungry for more milk and he knows that's where he gets the best calories from at this stage.

We will offer the same again and perhaps add to his two day time drinks also. Who knows, he may even get an afternoon nap in too

Will keep trying with the solids, we have a couple of Annabel Karmel books and have tried some delicious recipes to date, we even make one as pasta sauce for our dinner!

Might head over to the feeding forum and try to get his solids intake sorted too. Thanks all for your help, I will keep you posted on how thing track with regard to sleep over the next few days.

Thanks,
    Jilm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    5 is unacceptably early in my house... I like my sleep ins on the weekend and we shoot for no earlier than a 7am wake up (doesn't mean we always get it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    It's not only us parents that need sleep... babies waking too early interrupts their whole day and they get cranky because they are over tired.
    I dont find myself selfish that I taught my baby to sleep 12 hours. They are children and they need direction.
    Not only does my baby get a good nights rest, me and my dh get some good unwind time before we hit the sack.
    I keep my baby in the cot until 7am regardless of whether she wakes 30 mins before then. She is still resting while she is happily laying there playing with her feet!

I find it very closed minded of you to call a mother selfish for wanting a 7am wake up time for their children. We need our rest so we can be the best parents we can be without being grumpy or losing our temper for being tired

Sent from my MotoA953 using BubHub
    Well said, thank you!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ELB For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (18-05-2012),SugarSkull  (19-05-2012),VicPark  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are lots of things you can try rather then just controlled crying, how about black out curtains or blacking out the windows? Is the morning sun waking baby up?

What about moving the last solid feed back closer to bed time, we switched dinner from 5-6 and DS started sleeping a little longer (waking at 5 instead of 4).

What about an extra blanket? Or layer of clothing? It is quite cold at 4am.

Will he resettle after a feed? Is that an option? 12 hours is a long time to expect a little one to go without calories, especially when they grow so rapidly.

Whether you choose to CC or not it probably won't happen in 3 days, it'll take some time, you're trying to change your babies internal body clock. And no matter what you try it might not work.

What is happening in your home at 5am? Is you or your partner getting up and getting ready for work? My DH gets up and starts getting ready for work at 5 so that is when the house goes from silent to noisy. Even if DH tries to be quiet, he has to shower, shave and brush his teeth, all using water and the pipes run right by DSs bedroom and wakes him up. I went through the same thing with my daughter, she started sleeping a little longer (until 6) after DH went on holidays. DS sleeps longer when DH is away.

You can always combine any of these ideas, but unfortunately some kids are just early risers. So are some adults. And after a while you get used to it. We just go to bed earlier now to get our sleep.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (20-05-2012),RubySunrise  (22-05-2012),trishalishous  (22-05-2012)