+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 10mth old early riser, save our sleep method

Hi All,

My 10 month old has followed Tizzie's methods from Save our Sleep since he was three months, and has always slept (pretty much) 7pm-7am.

Just prior to Easter, and then three weeks ago, he suffered from Gastro and during this time we had to change his formula (to novalac) and his feeding/sleeping suffered as a result. He slowed eating (which I understand) and started waking between 3-5am for a feed and then would sleep.

Now he is all better however he now is ravenous and drinks his entire bottle allocation (all four bottles on Tizzies suggested routines) and wakes every morning between 5-5:30am.

So, my question is... has anyone tried the early riser technique of leaving baby to re-settle in the morning?

The case study in the book suggests leaving him until he falls back to sleep, even if it is past his usual wake time?!?! My boy isnt one to nap well, and is not the type to fall asleep on the floor when playing and I imagine he could stay in his cot and cry probably till midday if we left him - Im just not sure I want to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does your baby settle by himself?

Sent from my MotoA953 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Big Jilm - I also follow Tizzie and found a similar issue with my son around that age that went on for a while. Is there any chance he is happy to stay in his cot for a while after he wakes up? The way I approached it - was to encourage him to stay in his cot until at least 6.30am or so - I was rarely able to get him to re-settle back to sleep, but as long as he was happy to stay there, I left him without going in (so I wasn't encouraging the early rising.). I then kept him up until his next sleep time, which I know can be really difficult! Now he is almost 2, I find he often wakes somewhere between 6-7am, but is happy to stay in his cot until I get him up.
    If he's not happy to stay in his cot, I would probably approach it by sitting with him but not picking him up to see if he will re-settle while you are with him. I have done this a few times, I put a mattress on the floor next to his cot and without paying him too much attention I went in and lay down. Sometimes he went back to sleep, but on the occassions when he didn't, I waited until a little after 7am, waited for a break in his protesting, then got him up.
    If I can share my overall experience, I have had huge success with Tizzie with both of my children and I'm definitely an advocate of this approach, but unfortunately her books don't give you the answer to your individual problems, which can be frustrating! My approach now is to follow it as closely as I can, but if you need to use some mummy instinct along the way then trust your experience in knowing your child.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by ELB; 17-05-2012 at 09:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, we put him down for a morning sleep and he self settles fine. He generally however doesnt settle for hi afternoon nap so is only getting approx 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours sleep during the day.

He self settles at night (7pm) nearly all the time no problem.

Im guessing a lot of people think their babies are different to the norm, and I beleive ours is a "high energy" baby. He's never been a great eater, and hardly eats any solids yet (just rice crackers and cereal, occasionally veges/meat) and is what I'd say as "lean" rather than the chubby babies in his swim class IYKWIM. Hes not underweight though as hes quite tall for his age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ELB!

Yes, he stays in his cot until we give him a feed at 7. Hes not too unhappy, generally just cooing and babbling to himself for and hour, but then slowly begins to get a little more intense before we get him up.

I agree, the book's certainly helped us a lot, and have been blessed with a 7pm-7am sleeper up until now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh see my dd has 2 naps but together they are about 1.5 hours (she is 11 months old)
    Im wondering if daylight savings hadvsomething to do with it coz my dd slept from 7-7.30 everyday then when daylight savings started she barely sleeps after 6.30am anymore.

The first few weeks after daylight savings she was waking at around 5.55am everyday.

Does he cry when he wakes up?
    What I do is go into her room in the morning and put the projecter mobile on which lasts 12 minutes just to let her be happy in her cot so ican get up properly... I've found that when she was waking earlier if I put it on she would fall back asleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, Knomie.

We live in Brisbane so have been fortunate enough not to have to contend with daylight savings. :-)

Initially he starts off crying when he wakes, but then it's more of a babble/cooing. The longer he's awake though the babble and cooing changes to a cry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'd look at the food issue before anything. It sounds like your bubba could be hungry. At 10 months a baby should be having 3 solid meals a day, including meat at least 4 times per week. One of Tizzies suggestions or early rising in SOS is to introduce solids/protein etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe a bottle ???
    A solid dinner before bed? Try feed him anything! I find my baby absolutely hates home made baby food and will only eat the jar type! Funny that... when she has no problem eating from my plate!!!!

My dd started refusing her bottle at night and would wake up cranky coz she's starving... so after 3 nights of this we started giving her a solid meal before bed and she is sleeping much better

Last edited by knomie; 17-05-2012 at 17:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks VicPark and Knomie,

VicPark, we introduced solids from about four months and he wasnt fussed until around Feb this year. Then he was great and ate almost whatever we put in front of him. Now, hell have cereal in the morning (we spoon feed him), but at lunch/dinner he hasn't been interested in any home made stews etc so weve been giving him some chopped veges/fruit/bread/rice cakes/strips of meat and he sometimes is interested, others times not. He seems pretty keen on bread and rice cakes the most.

We obviously cant force him to eat solids, so were giving him an extra 50ml tonight before bed (total 330ml). Ive never seen him drink anywhere near that volume before (we didnt have a bottle large enough so had to use two! ). I wonder if I might add a dreamfeed back in, but I thought the point was to reduce the milk and switch to the solid, but hes not catching on yet...