+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tomorrow the kids are having a walk to school day. 1 teacher from each year level, a local footballer, 2 police officers and some parents are walking the kids from a location 30 minutes from the school.

No, I would not let her. It's unsafe for her.

For us, we were driven until I was year 10 and my brother was year 12, then we were dropped to my little brother's school and walked 10 minutes to our school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I walked/biked to school from age 7-13. It had nothing to do with making me independent, it was just the way it was. Mom said she isn't going to get in her car to drive us 2km! Kept us healthy anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My brothers and i use to walk to primary school. We were allowed to walk by ourselves once we were in years 3,5 and 7.

We got ourselves to high school. My older brother caught the bus, i usually walk or occassionally caught the train, my younger brother caught the train.

I drop my DS off. He is 7. We live really close to his school. I'm not sure i will feel ok about him getting his own way there during his primary school years. I guess once he is in highschool he will most likely have to get his own way there. I just hope he has the common sense to do so.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mum and I would ride to school, then she'd ride another 5K to work! I'd ride to Fdc with the carer after school. When I was 5 mum was on maternity leave and we'd walk, then she'd pick me up and we'd walk home. One day she was late, so I decided to walk the 1K home. Mum yelled while she hugged me, the cops talked to me (nicely) and the teacher practically sat on me at the scool gate for the next month!

In high school I walked or rode 4 K through the suburbs and across a busy road, or caught a bus if it was raining. My friends and I pretty much got ourselves anywhere we wanted to go, can only remember calling for a lift if it was dark.

We moved rural when I was 15 and it was the worst! Very isolating for someone used to being able to get herself around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No, I went to private school until the age of 13 which was about 30 minutes away. I caught a bus, train, then another bus to school from 5 years of age. My sister was in high school by the time I was in primary school, and her school was right next to mine. By the time I was in year 3, I was going to school by myself pretty much as my brother's school was not close to mine. I used to travel home by myself all the time, but did know other kids catching the train and bus.

Once we moved and I went to public school, I used to walk or ride to school, but I was 13 by then.

I would let my children walk to and from school, but not until maybe 10, and it depends on which school. If it's the school at the end of my street, no problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    3 km one way, rain, hail or shine as my Mum didn't and still doesn't drive. Up until age 12 Mum walked with us.. Then we walked with friends etc

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes and no

Primary school was 200m's away = Yes

Secondary school (1) = Yes it was 2.5km's away

Secondary school (2) = No it was 6 suburbs away in the city, went by bus but still had to walk about 1km total

Secondary school (3) = yes it was about 200m's away also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Always walked to school, except one primary school (went to 6 different primary schools) was too far so we walked to the bus stop and got the bus.

My older brother has never been as independent as me though - even as a teen he wouldn't catch the bus into town, he'd walk instead. He had a fear of doing things on his own and is still very set in his ways and won't try new things. Im the total opposite! I do everything on my own and love trying new things.

Walking to school has little to do with personality. These days I think it's more about safety, convenience really. Independence? Not really IMO...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default "spin off" did you walk to school as a child

No, I went to a private school and had to catch a bus, train and then another bus to and from school everyday. However, I was doing this on my own from about 7/8 years of age as all my brothers and sisters were in high school by the time I was in school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default "spin off" did you walk to school as a child

I walked 10mins to school all of primary school, first with my brother then along with neighbourhood kids even in the rain we walked with gumboots & raincoats on.

High school was a few suburbs away so it was a bus ride.

DD1 starts school next year. Her school is a 10min drive, way too far to walk & also over traintracks and 100km roads so no walking for her