+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a young child I caught the bus, then we moved and were about 20kms to school do we caught the bus again. We used to sign my brother in and out of child are which was down the road from the school, I am another believer that older kids can thrive ob responsibilities like that (I would've been 11-12).

In high school we'd moved again and I used to walk 20 mins to the bus depot to get the bus on the days I had early classes.

My kids are too far to walk to school, I've been looking into the bus (public bus that goes straight up one main road and stops across from the school where there's a footbridge), but everyone I speak to, inc the school thinks I'm crazy for even considering it- except my sister-in-law and mum. I don't think my hubby will be keen either. I don't see why TBH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I did and i will let DS. Apart from the extremely important aspect of incidental exercise, I think it is so so important for kids to learn how to negotiate situations on their own, with no adults to help them. People are always saying on here 'oh it's so unfair to expect an older kid to be responsible for younger siblings' but i completely disagree. The pride and sense of accomplishment we all felt when one if the little kids walking home tripped over and sprained their ankle, some if us ran to the milk bar and asked them to call our parents and we were all showered with praise about how well we'd dealt with the situation and how mature we all were.
    I think it's also important for kids to have to deal with all sorts of people, not just their friends. The kids we walked home with we didn't play with at school, but we all got along very well.
    For us it also combatted bullying, it wasn't condoned by any of the kids walking home. Kids are willing to step up to the plate when there's no adults around.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Ditto. Dd is only in prep this year and we live too far away, but next year we are moving closer to her school so I will start letting her walk with friends in grade 1 High school she'll be catching the train I assume!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, barely recalled ever being driven actually. Since during primary school we always lived a 15-20 minute walk from school.

High school I caught a bus and walked to and from the bus stop which was a 5 minute walk.

DD1 is in pre primary and recently I have started to let her walk from the parent's parking area to her class without me (no roads to cross and I watch her walk into the school's gates).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't walk. I jumped the fence. I literally lived next-door to my class room.

High school I caught the bus and traveled an hour to/from school on my own.

It taught me alot of things. Like how to deal with intimidating bullies & I made alot of friends on the bus who I normally wouldn't have met at school (older & younger)

I will walk my girls to school for as long as they let me, & they'll use public transport on their own when they're in high school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I walked everywhere not just to school

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (17-05-2012),T 800  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    nope we lived in another suburb to the school it was like a 15 minute drive away.
    in high school ( year 7) my school has half hour away so I'd walk 10 mins to the bus stop in morning and walk the 10 back in afternoon. it was a school bus only for my school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    however from around 10 I was allowed to walk 10 mins to the milk bar/ corner shop and then walk 10 mins back

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I either walked or caught the bus with a gang of kids from my school. We all pooled our coins and bought chips and gravy to eat on the bus! Started when I was 6. My great grandma lived at my grandparents house. To get home from the bus stop I crossed a busy road, cut through a petrol station and walked down the street.

In the morning I caught the bus with mum (city bus that stopped outside my school).

In high school, I walked fifteen mins to the train station, got a train for 15 mins then walked 3 minutes to school.

I don't think I'd let my early primary aged kid get home the way I did (about half an hour door to door) but a shorter distance sure.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We lived about 25km from primary school, so no.

At high school we lived on the same street, but I got my Mum to drop me on her way to work (sheer adolescent laziness).

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep! We walked or rode our bikes to school from grade 3 (for me) my brothers would of been in grade 7, 5 and 2 that was after we moved from the farm into the town before that we caught the bus the 100km. All through high school I rode my bike as my mum worked, for 2 years I use to collect my half brother from FDC which was around the corner and I looked after him until my SD got home at 4:30, I would of been in grade 9&10 then. After grade 6 I use to start dinner prep when I got home as well. I think it was good in a way...didn't really help with getting my homework done though!