+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We lived up on a farm so was too far to walk to school. We used to catch the bus.

Ds catches the bus home from kindy, there is a teacher on board and the bus drops them at your door. They include a school bus service to and from school when ds starts year 1 so he won't need to walk but if I was faced with it.... Nope I wouldn't let him walk on his own until probably 10yrs old at least. Not necessarily him that I don't trust, there's lots of crazies about and unsafe drivers. Just never know what could happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My primary school was 2 blocks from home, so I always walked, except in torrential rain Mum would come and pick us up.
    My brother was a year older than me and we walked together. There was also an older boy who lived down the street who would walk with us- he used to carry my bag too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My brother and I used to occasionally ride to school, but my sister and I werent allowed. When I was in year 6 and my sister in yr 4 we started catching the bus home and walking up from the bus stop 2 minute walk, but only when my brother was coming home from school 20 minutes later (he was in year 11). High school was a half hour drive so we always caught the school bus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister and I and some friends walked to and from the train station when I was in Yr 7. It was about a 10 minute walk each way. There is no way in high hell I'll be letting my kids walk to school. I am lucky though as it's just not practical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah from about year 4 we lived about year 1km away.my dd1 is 9 and she walks to school but we live one block away and i can stand on the corner of our street and watch her:-)

you only live once...
    but if you do it right ~ once is enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes, but the primary school was over the road and the high school a few blocks. we always walked in a group too.

we live rural, so it's either drive or the school bus. just not possible to walk unless the kids left at 6am and didn't mind walking 20kms!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    primary was too far, but i walked my 4yo sister to the bus from age 6.
    secondary i walked or rode.
    we can see the primary school from our house, and are on the same side of the road, so will let dd walk home after shes settled in to school, if i cant get the other kids out the house in time to walk up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Up until year 6 I caught the bus. My primary school was 5km away from home. In year 6 the bus driver (who happened to own the 1 and only bus company around) told me as I was getting on the bus that I wasn't allowed to wear that uniform on her bus (she thought the dress was too short or something) and I told her to get nicked what was I supposed to do about it. I was banned from the bus so had to walk 10km every day to and from school sometimes in pouring rain or 36+ degree heat. I got heat stroke several times and I remember one day halfway home in the heat I sat down in the gutter and just cried My parents had a car and didn't work. My lazy a** mother just didn't want to 'drive all that way that early' luckily when it came to highschool we only lived a couple of blocks away so the walk was easier.
    Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No, I didn't until I was about 14 or 15. Even then, it was usually walking home, not to school.

I won't be getting DD to walk to school anyway. She is not street smart in any way and has the common sense of a brick. She would likely get killed by a car or something. She's not confident enough to be on her own like anyway.

We also live 5km from the school. That's a bit of a lengthy walk for her to make every morning...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was allowed to walk to school from year 1 when we lived close enough to the school (we moved a bit). I would be more worried about highschool age kids, as I know that quite a few times when my mum was at work, thinking my brother and I were safely at school, at least one of us *cough - so not me, honest* was wagging to hang out with friends, go to the shops, etc.
    Currently I walk with my kids, as it's only 5-10 minutes depending on their mood, and I'll probably keep walking with them for quite a few years, considering the next 2 kids will be going there so I'll be walking them too. Not sure when I'd allow them to go alone, guess it will depend on their level of maturity and responsibility at the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast