+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I walked home from school by myself from the very start. I would walk there with my sister, but Kindy finished 15 mins earlier than everyone else so I'd walk the approx 1km home by myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Children can do foolish things. When I was about ten years old, we were learning about braille and blind people, so I decided to find out what is was like to be blind. I walked around with my eyes closed for the rest of the day at school, then after school it was tricky to undo my combination lock by feel but I managed it. Then I proceeded to ride my bike home - and crashed into the back of a parked car.

I came to the conclusion that blind people don't ride bikes.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 17-05-2012 at 09:30.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Allymumtobe  (17-05-2012),Sariele  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No I wasn't allowed until highschool. In highschool I'd walk to a friend's house and we'd walk together. My highschool was a 20-30 minute walk away (depending on how fast we walked) and primary school was the same distance but through the bush. I understand why my mum wouldn't allow me to walk to primary school.

We live too far from DD's school for her to walk there but we're hoping to move closer and then ride our bikes to school as a family. Lots of kids walk and ride their scooters/bikes to DD's school...but 95% of them are going with their parents.

I will be encouraging independence and good decision making skills in my kids...they just won't be walking to primary school by themselves. No biggy...I didn't walk to primary school either but had a job at 15, left school before I turned 16, was going on holidays with friends at 16, moved out of home at 18, use public transport, am fit and active etc. Being driven to school and picked up from school caused me no harm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I did walk to school with my older sister, and later by myself.

I do let ds walk to school he is in 6th grade and it's probably close to 2kms since we moved, crossing one main road with traffic lights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. I walked to school from the age of 8. Most the kids in the neighbourhood did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep, I also let myself in when I got home and made myself a snack. I was home alone often for around an hour (I know, quick call docs). This was from primary age, probably closer to 10.

In high school it was a fair distance to school. Some days I walked with my best friend, some days we caught the train.

I live too far from DS' school to let him walk but do plan on moving closer and do plan to let him walk to school...well, after age 12 so I don't get dragged through the court system

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Sure did. I am thinking in about 2 or 3yrs time he will be right to catch the bus to school by himself. He knows where to go and the bus driver would make sure he got off the bus fine. Will be the same with catching the bus home. I will allow him to do the same in a few years time.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    And will you let your own child?
    Spin off from the leaving your kids unattended thread !
    our school was a 20 minute drive away and mum dropped us throughout primary school, high school we caught the train, my sister drives my 17 year old niece to and from school her whole life and she is the most independent , responsible teenager I know, so why do some people think a child becomes independent by walking to school?
    Yes or I rode my bike. I walk Hayley to school most mornings and pick her up (walking) most afternoons. She's in grade one and the school is a 20 minute walk, she wants to walk by herself, but she's too young and I don't trust her to cross the roads carefully yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, we lived 4 streets away from my school so I rode my bike or walked from the age of 9 (when I started at that school).

When my sister started in year 5, she went to walk home during the first week (I was at orchestra practice so couldn't walk with her) and she couldn't remember the way, so came back into the school and found a teacher, who found me and she waited until orchestra was finished and we walked home together. Meanwhile everyone in my neighbourhood was out searching the streets for my sister as she hadn't arrived home! These days she probably would have had a mobile phone.

Anyway, my point is, at age 10 my sister had enough common sense to know what to do when she got lost. If DD has similar common sense then I will have no problem with her taking herself to school at about that age. At the moment we live 30km away from her school so it's not an option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I did from around 6 when we moved closer to school.

My child did from around 8 when we moved close enough (10-15 min walk).