+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When I was in year 4-6, yes I did walk to school, with my brother who is 2 years younger. We lived in a country village though, where all the kids who lived in walking distance walked. It seemed like a normal and safe thing to do. Once we hit high school we had to catch a bus as it was about 10km away.

DS is only 15 months old, so it's a while before he'll be at school. I can't imagine letting him walk alone to school until he is in late primary school maybe? Depends on how responsible and street smart he is I guess.

Truth is, my mum will most likely care for him before/after school, so it probably won't be an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, my parents molly coddled me something fierce. I wasn't allowed out during the holidays even until I was 16! Even then it was a fight to get them to agree. I used to beg them to let me walk to school - about 10 min down the road for primary school - but they would have none of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My brother and I (we're 16 mths apart) walked to Primary school from grade 3 onwards. It was an easy 20 minute walk and by the time we reached school we had a gang of kids along side us.

High School we caught a bus as it was way too far away.

I have no idea if I will alllow my kids to walk to school, it would depend how far away the School was, whether they had enough road sense, were comfortable doing so and whether I thought it was a wise thing to do, judging by the surroundings.

I guess like most things involving children, it's a case by case situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We walked with our parents till high school (25min) then by ourselves did the walk/bus. Mum worked next door but we wanted the independence. We had to leave a post it note on her window so she knew we reached safely in the days before mobiles.

For my kids I guess it depends on location, traffic and community vibe. Quiet suburban streets yes. Cross town with highways no. High school is fair game tho for going by yourself
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 17-05-2012 at 08:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep, from pretty early on (can't remember exactly but early-mid primary). We lived 2 blocks away and most kids walked themselves.
    In highschool i caught a bus and walked about 40 mins until we moved closer (then i just walked about 30 mins).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kind of! We(my 2 younger brothers & I) walked to our bus along a windy country road to the main road which was about 2kms each way, except on the way back it was all up hill :/ lol
    We used to walked it rain, snow or shine.
    From kindergarten to grade 5 - then we moved
    ETA: yes I would let my kids walk to school if we didn't live to far - but I would walk with them. Not sure why my mother never walked with us lol
    Last edited by AppleIsleSMum; 17-05-2012 at 08:53.

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We moved a lot we were driven most of the time however in year 1 I would ride my bike and at the time it was the scaryest thing we moved the year after to a different state my mum says it wasn't very far only a block or two lol but when I was 6 it was miles and I was going to get kidnaped by monsters hahaha

In high school we were 2 Kms or so away and we walked to and from it was all good except when leaving school the first 200m was a steep hill that got the legs working! The rest was easy lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes from about age eight and my brother was in prep. Yes I will let my kids walk to school. No I don't think you can foster independence and good decision making skills or any other very valuable life skills in a child unless you give them responsibility and allow them to do things on their own without supervising. It doesn't have to be walking to school. Sometimes that's impossible. But if someone never lets their child go anywhere alone and doesn't introduce more freedom until they are an adult imo they will be immature and have poor judgement .

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope, we lived about 40km or so from our school!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother and I went to before/after school care and walked from there (the house was right next to the school!).

From about grade 4 (my brother grade 5) we walked about 20mins each way to/from school. We would meet up with various kids from our school on the way there (usually around 6-7 of us).

From grade 8, my school trip took about an hour. 10mins to the train station, 30min train ride, 15mins from train to school.

Not sure what I'll do with my girls yet. Will depend on if I'm working and how far away their school is.