+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default HELP! My little sister is hooked on painkillers

So my mum and I dont talk. The only time we do is if theres an emergency and the other day she sent me a txt reminding me of something I had said about 2 years ago (back when we did talk)

2 years ago my sister and I lived together for awhile. And I noticed she would be getting what she called migraines everyday and so was taking these tablets called mersyndol (sorry spelling?) at first i didnt think anything of it. After about a month I noticed that she really was taking these tablets every single day without fail, combined with panadol or ibuprofen and tablets for hayfever that contained codine. I said something to mum at the time, and tried to get her to go to a dr about her migraines (though she never had any issues with light and noise with those migraines so i suspected they were played up a bit) After talking to mum about it (useless as a a kick in the head) she told my sister what I had said and she flew off the handles and moved out.

She then moved around from boyfriends house to the next (another story) and mum said the other day that she was still taking the tablets the whole time but didnt think anything of it. Now my sister is back living at home with my parents, shes still taking the mersyndol everyday plus celebrex (given to her by her new boyfriend that lives with them) and hayfever tablets. As soon as she doesnt have them her moods are quote 'totally unbearable' she still refuses to see the family GP or any doctor about her 'migraines' Shes only going on 20 and is VERY naive about consequences and expects everything being handed to her and nothing bad will ever happen to her.

The fact my mother braved a potential 'why the heck are you contacting me' ear full to ask for my help indicates to me that things are pretty bad. But I have no idea what to do. I cant sit down and talk to her as I live over 1000km away from them, and even if I could I cant see her reaction being one of consideration or thought. For 2 years she's been clearly abusing over the counter pain killers and that has to be doing some serious damage!

If you've gotten this far thanks for taking the time to read.
    Last edited by pinkplease3; 17-05-2012 at 07:50. Reason: obviously too early to have my spelling hat on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I couldn't read and not post something. Even though I can't offer any advice as its been in my experience when someones addicted to something like painkillers you really can't do much except explain to them the damage and offer them helplines and set up appointments to see doctors - but its all on them to go and follow through.

You can't even take the tablets away and force her through withdrawls, she's almost 20 yes, and quite capable of purchasing more. I don't know if you can alert the doctor or the chemist because don't they have to take your name when you buy mersyndol? See if you can stop it at the source?

I don't know. I wish you luck though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubs'n'Roses For This Useful Post:

pinkplease3  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you believe the addiction is making her behaviour irrational you can report her to the local psychiatric service. They all have a crisis assessment team who assess and if they believe she is a danger to herself they will admit her to hospital against her own will. If its a simple addiction where she is slowly harming herself they prob can't do anything but they will be able to give information on drug addiction etc. just call her local hospital and ask to speak to the psychiatric team and state you believe she is harming herself but can't see it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bubs N Roses, unfortunately mersyndol is one you dont have to give your name for. But according to my local chemist its the strongest over the counter painkiller you can get I was thinking about ringing the family doctor up there (been the family GP since I was 6) and asking to have a chat to him. Even just so he's aware of whats going on because i dont think he has a clue about the painkillers.

Thanks Meags, I'm hoping there will be a way we can at least reduced her intake of them before involving psych teams. But in saying that, im not holding my breath that its not going to be the ultimate outcome. She's my little sister and I'm supposed to look out for her even if she is 20. If it was me, id hope that she would do the same for me even if I didnt appreciate it so much to begin with. But there isnt alot of options as far as I can see

Thanks
    Reviews
    What you can do is get court ordered rehab. It might get ugly but you will be saving her life in the long run

Sent from my MotoA953 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately, like any addiction, your sister will only be able to recover when she is ready and willing to. All you can do is give her information and support.

After this long using them, just stopping the tablets is unlikely to be an option. She will need professional help with withdrawal, and then with learning t live without them.

Directline : 1800 888 236 is a national 24hr information and referal hot line and a great starting point for getting information about local drug rehab and counselling services in her local area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You do have to give your details for mersyndol... at least the night strength ones (which zonk you out)... so it may be possible to ring her local chemists and mention it to them?

I like the sleepy feeling I get from mersyndol night strength so I can see why it might become addictive for some people.

Perhaps you could speak to your own chemist and ask what suggestions they have for dealing with this...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post: