+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler waking up at 12 then not going back to sleep!!

Hi,

This is the first time this has happened to me my 20month old woke up at 12 and i tried patting him back to sleep and he just kept babbling like he thought it was play time! I was so tired that after 40mins of patting him i took him into bed with me as a last resort and he still wouldn't sleep! He kept sitting up and talking loud and wriggling so i then had to take him out of the room as DP gets up early for work and wasn't getting any sleep so i gave him some panadol then sat on lounge chair rocking him i was out there till just before 4am so we finally both got to sleep then, he was forcing himself to get up by 7am he looked so tired and his body kept dropping on the pillow like he needed to keep sleeping but he got up. Im so tired and he looks tired too he has never done this before has anyone else had this happen before?? Usually if he wakes up during the night i can easily get him back to sleep so im confused. He is now playing like he usually does i don't know how when i feel tired he would defiently be feeling the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you have a big day? Or much sleep in his nap time or did he miss a sleep? My DS does it occasionally and thats when he has missed a sleep. Which you would think he has missed a sleep and be extra tired but nope. Its a pain and as much as we want to just give a bottle and say sleep time and jump into bed abd go to sleep ourselves sometimes we just gotta get up
    He would of been tired in the morning cause he missed 4 hours sleep and you also missed 4 hours. If it starts to look like its going to be a pattern try to put him to bed later and if that dont work try putting him to bed earlier

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    2 year old molars? My boys have always been like this with teeth. Don't let you know they're in pain, just think its party time in the middle of the night. And normally a lil more moody in the day too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Something he ate that he may be sensitive to eg sugar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    our DD goes through weird phases... she had one like you had with your bub a few months ago (she is now 21mths old). It passed in a week.

We've also had

refusing to go to sleep
    waking at 3am wanting to play
    waking at 5am and wanting to play
    up between 11pm-2am wanting to play
    refusing day naps
    sleeping 4hrs during the day

none of it has lasted more than 3-5 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our day was normal and he had his usual nap after lunch i did notice when i put him down at night he didn't just go off on his own which he usually would so i patted him and within 10mins he was asleep. Maybe i put him to bed too late? he usually goes down at 7.30pm but he went down at 8.00pm by the time i finished patting him. Actually it did cross my mind he might be teething as in the past he has usually woken when teething but it confused me how he was wanting to play and he has been moodier during the past few days come to think of it. I asked him this morning why wern't you sleeping were you sore and twice he pointed to his legs i don't know if they really are the problem tho as he is walking around fine and happily playing this morning. I do find he goes crazy from too much sugar i did give him a choc chip cookie after dinner at 6.00pm so that could be the problem. So many things so hard to know which one is the problem when he can't talk only says basic words. Maybe i will put him down before 7.30pm tonight and give him some panodol in case his teeth are bothering him and also make sure i don't give him a cookie after dinner lol i think then i will be covering all bases

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    our DD goes through weird phases... she had one like you had with your bub a few months ago (she is now 21mths old). It passed in a week.

We've also had

refusing to go to sleep
    waking at 3am wanting to play
    waking at 5am and wanting to play
    up between 11pm-2am wanting to play
    refusing day naps
    sleeping 4hrs during the day

none of it has lasted more than 3-5 days.
    Oh wow i hope it doesn't last 3-5days for us you would have been exausted! I do find it so hard to get him to have a day sleep i have to pat him or he will just keep coming out of his room. We have started ttc our second and now im worried how would i cope if he does this when i have a newborn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That happened to then 15 month old DS when he first had ice cream! We were out for dinner and he was sharing DH,s gelato , went to bed no problems but about 1pm woke up very happy and wanted to play! I stayed up with him until 4am then he went back to bed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    That happened to then 15 month old DS when he first had ice cream! We were out for dinner and he was sharing DH,s gelato , went to bed no problems but about 1pm woke up very happy and wanted to play! I stayed up with him until 4am then he went back to bed!
    Oh no so maybe it was the cookie i was thinking if it was the cookie he would not have gone to sleep when i first put him to bed. My DP has always told me to cut sugar out of his food as he notices the change in DS when he get's home from work. It's so hard not to treat them with yummy stuff tho but maybe i will give him a treat earlier in the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happy86 View Post
    Oh wow i hope it doesn't last 3-5days for us you would have been exausted! I do find it so hard to get him to have a day sleep i have to pat him or he will just keep coming out of his room. We have started ttc our second and now im worried how would i cope if he does this when i have a newborn.
    You get tired but they are just babies and it's hard to know what's bothering them sometimes. To put DD to sleep I lay down next to her on her single bed (I'm 35 wks pregnant) and pretend to sleep. In 5-10 she is off. We only recently stopped boobing to sleep so she is definitely improving with the time it takes her to sleep.

With a new bubba I'll either put DD down when bub is asleep or lay down with both on our bed.