+ Reply to Thread
    Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Asthma.

Ok... i have asthma, so did my great nan. and i have reason to belive that my 2 yr old DD will also have it.
    when i get asthma (even now as a adult) i get a cold, or any type of sickness and then get asthma.
    my DD gets a cold, and then starts coughing her guts up. she sounds just like i do when i get it, and she even coughs so much that she makes her self sick. i do this to.
    my question is, how old do little ones have to be to be tested for it. because when i was little i had to wait till i was 2. (she is 2 in june) its heart breaking watching her cough like that. i really hope i havnt passed it on to her.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My ds#2 has had asthma since birth, from quite young he has ventolin puffer and flixotide puffer through a spacer.

Gp will be able to come up with an asthma care plan for you, if she gets dx with it. Good luck xox

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS1 was diagnosed with Asthma having a severe attack after turning 1, he has an asthma plan, ventolin, preventer and spacer.
    He gets asthma after having a cold, and unless he has his puffer regularly while he has a cold, it can get very hairy very quickly. He had another asthma attack the day I was due with DS2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS was like that for months and months on and off. Some nights he'd cough so much he'd throw up 1-2 times. He would get a tiny sniffly nose then the coughing would start and just go away after a couple of days. I was starting to get very upset thinking my DS was constantly getting a cold and i couldnt prevent it in anyway that i had tried.

I went to the doc and told him all the symptoms. DS mainly coughed mornings and nights and it would setlle once he got moving. ExDP had asthma as a child and his bro still has it bad. Doc gave me an asthma puffer and spacer and said to give him two puffs morning and night for 3 weeks. After 2 days.... he's absolutely fine again!!

Go see your GP

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (16-05-2012)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi mummieof2sweties. Doctors seem to be reluctant to say 'its asthma' when any child is under three. I think they dont like to label something too early. But if you suspect asthma dont wait for the bub to 'get better'. The sooner the child is started on medication the quicker they recover. Also, if you have a regular gp, make sure you get good follow up treatment, maybe a preventer will be needed. If you are told it only a cold, and given some antibiotics or whatever, they wont work at all, and you will just need to go back until you get a proper assesment done. Asthma is a serious condition, dont be reluctant to go to the doctor or to the ER. Marie.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can contact Asthma Australia for information and advice on 1800ASTHMA (1800278462) you can also register online to have a free Control pack sent to you that has heaps of information to help you better manage asthma symptoms and includes an emergency fridge magnet.
    http://asthmaaustralia.org.au/assist/