+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Has your child been asked to leave school?

Alex (5, ASD) is in special ed at the local state primary school.

I was in her main****** class (she's there a total of 12hrs/week and the rest in the unit) this morning for a parent teacher meeting when the SEU head of department came in. The HOD asked me to take Alex home as her SEU teacher had to leave suddenly and the SEU TA couldnt handle all the SEU kids. Alex and another little girl and both high needs, and both were asked to leave.

I said no.

Im not going to distrupt Alex's school day any more than absolutly necissary. She's already not coping with the transition days in main****** and this morning it was a fight to get her to school.

What would you have done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would've stayed and provided support in the unit if that's allowed. I don't know the school system here, but my high school had this issue a lot, I know some kids were sent home which is so unfair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I almost offered to stay, i should have, but she'd already asked me to start doing mondays with the other ASD girl so i was thinking about that.

I really dont mind helping out but prefer not to help with Alex's class. I already do prac at the school on thursdays for my TA course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, it'd be nice to be nearby, but not with her. Being in her class won't help her gain independence.

Even if they could've shuffled TAs.

But I absolutely agree taking her home would ruin all your hard work and it shouldn't have even been asked really.

That's awesome you've got plans there though, there's never enough help in my experience.