+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default How to miss a childhood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's very true. People don't seem to be able to survive without their phones or ipad's. I see it on the bus to uni all the time. Kids sitting next to their parent, parent looking at FB on their phone instead of engaging with their child, who is about to be dropped off at daycare (I'm talking specifically about the uni students who are obviously going to uni and using uni day care), or the parents who sit at swimming lessons and have their eyes glued to their phone and only look up when their dripping child is standing in front of them asking for a towel and the parent hasn't watched them once.
    I do think it is something we need to be mindful of...these technological advances are recent and we don't know what social effect it is going to have on society yet. I am actively conscious of this and make sure that the times that I'm supposed to be with my children I am actually with them and not in their presence absorbed in the world of technology.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not that extreme, but I am concious of the fact that I am often on the computer at home when I could be interacting with DD.

It's usually the other way round with us -
    Me: So what did you do at school today?
    DD: I can't remember. Can I play with your phone?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh so true, I am not like this at all though, coz i don't mix that well with technology (i usually can't find my bl00dy phone haha), but it did make me get a bit teary as i feel like i don't get to spend enough time with DD since i have been working (can't wait till i stop work)
    Children are so precious, and you only have so much time with them as children.. Make every second count.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a personal rule that I will only look at FB/BH/email on my laptop and only while DD is sleeping - otherwise I would be constantly on it on my phone!

DH is very bad with his phone, sometimes I just want to rip it out of his hand and toss it! Especially when he is 'playing' with DD but really looking at the phone, and I see the look of adoration on her face when she looks at him and he misses it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Very true. I used to do this when I first found Facebook and bubhub. But my partner got really angry once. He said I was too absorbed in my phone and he was right.and I made a lot of excuses for the fact I wasn't doing necessary housework I had plenty of time for or playing with ds. A lot of it did stem from feeling quite lonely but I did decide after that to limit phone time for when the kids were asleep/at school and I had got other important things done

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh wow... I am guilty of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I see this happen with some parents at kindergym on their phones while their kids play. Sometimes I want to tell them to pur their phone down your child wants you to watch what he/she is doing. But its not my place. I try and spend as much time playing n enjoying my kids. Though sometimes when i need a break Im on my phone or computer.

Sent from my phone that's also being sucked on by baby!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have mixed feelings about this, in a perfect world we wouldn't have the need for online socialization but for some (like me) who find small children draining, who's partners work away or work long hours we need the adult interaction to recharge (I'm a extrovert). Now some might say go out and socialize in the real world and that's all well and good if you have those sorts of contacts, I do have some but it's not enough for me though I am trying to build that up especially now that I have a car, I need adult interaction everyday or I loose the plot. I have tried cutting out or limiting my social media time just in evenings (my boys have not napped in the day for the past 2 years) and it does no service to myself or my children I am a happier mumma when I allow myself to accept this, I always respond to my children- its taken me 20 min to write this

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    Very true. I used to do this when I first found Facebook and bubhub. But my partner got really angry once. He said I was too absorbed in my phone and he was right.and I made a lot of excuses for the fact I wasn't doing necessary housework I had plenty of time for or playing with ds. A lot of it did stem from feeling quite lonely but I did decide after that to limit phone time for when the kids were asleep/at school and I had got other important things done

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    This is me too, In my case i did it when i was at my worst with PND I think I saw it as an escape from my responsibilities and loneliness