+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You know, I'd be REALLY REALLY suprised if DD even undid her seatbelt while I leave her to pay petrol.

She is one of those kids you can rely on because she's predictable. She is also very strict to rules... and gets upset when you change rules. She knows she's not allowed out of her seat without permission, so stays in her seat.

If I had a kid who I knew I couldn't trust, who was reckless and crazy and not a rule-follower, I wouldn't be leaving it alone in the car if I thought it might try to drive off with it or something...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    It actually states that the mother in the first article was helpful, polite and an otherwise switched on mum.

Dad being charged for sending 9 year old in to pick up take away, not sure of the background but I'm sure it would be known and mentioned if there was one.

I just don't know what is right and wrong now as a parent. I wanted DS to walk to school with his friends when older like I did, I used to have no problem leaving him in the car for 30 seconds while I ran in to pay for fuel...

Scary times we live in. We can't parent in the way we want any more and our kids will be almost teens before they can cross the road on their own without supervision.
    I know. I completely second guess everything these days in case a) some other parent dobs on me and b) some freak terrible thing happens. Recently I was in the northern territory with family right out in the bush and people kept telling me to relax and let ds run and be free but the minute he is out of my vision I feel negligent and anxious. I'm sure I'm doing him more harm than good!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

This is mostly how I learned to be street smart. How are our kids meant to do this with mum and dad holding their hands until they are teens lol
    Oh you know, learn through their parents teaching them without the hard lesson of being hit by a car

I have a very trustworthy 6 year old...I have 2 kids that can unstrap themselves and they even ask if they can unstrap after we've pulled up to the front of our house and I've turned the engine off.
    But out hand brake is actually a foot brake. They'd also need to be able to move the gear out of park too so them letting off the park brake and rolling down the street is not something I worry about. It was a worry my mum had when I was a kid though...she had me so scared of the hand brake I wouldn't even put my finger on it!
    Last edited by Areca; 16-05-2012 at 22:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    Oh you know, learn through their parents teaching them without the hard lesson of being hit by a car
    Yeah I used to think that but now I just think we're robbing our kids of a childhood. A ten year old not allowed to walk to school...it just seems ridiculous to me.

I guess it's the dum@sses who do things like leave their kids in hot cars while they play the pokies who make the rest of our kids suffer for their actions.

What a waste of the court's resources. A kid picking up some take away and a few left in an air conditioned car for a matter of minutes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

T 800  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was walking into a shopping center once and notice a car full of 4 kids, no parent in sight, the kids had unbuckled themselves and one was sitting in the front playing with the steering wheel and controls, and the key's were in the ignition! I waited 5 minutes and still no parent so I called the police, the officer on the phone told me to for over and take the keys out of the car, which I felt really uncomfortable about but the officer insisted and said if the parent came back and had a go at me to put him on the phone... the car was locked though and they didn't unlock it which I was kind of glad about... anyway the dad came back before the police arrived, but seriously I could not just walk past and do nothing ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah I used to think that but now I just think we're robbing our kids of a childhood. A ten year old not allowed to walk to school...it just seems ridiculous to me.

I guess it's the dum@sses who do things like leave their kids in hot cars while they play the pokies who make the rest of our kids suffer for their actions.

What a waste of the court's resources. A kid picking up some take away and a few left in an air conditioned car for a matter of minutes.
    I agree with you on all but the bolded bit. I don't think not being allowed to walk to school at 10 is robbing a kid of their childhood. I wasn't allowed to and I had a fantastic childhood! I walked to and from school in highschool, when I think of the highlights of my younger years walking to and from school wasn't one of them
    Sorry I just always find it an odd argument and it is mentioned quite a bit on BH, that walking to school = kids getting to be kids. I don't really get it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (17-05-2012),just her chameleon  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with Areca walking to school wasn't one of my childhood highlights infact at times it became one of the situations where I resented the fact i had to walk. I walked rain, hail or shine. It was a long walk too. Having said that I was alot slimmer back then because I had to walk everywhere .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    I agree with you on all but the bolded bit. I don't think not being allowed to walk to school at 10 is robbing a kid of their childhood. I wasn't allowed to and I had a fantastic childhood! I walked to and from school in highschool, when I think of the highlights of my younger years walking to and from school wasn't one of them
    Sorry I just always find it an odd argument and it is mentioned quite a bit on BH, that walking to school = kids getting to be kids. I don't really get it.
    No, I do agree with that and I wasn't meaning just walking to school (although it was often the highlight of my day walking to and from school with my friends - we had a ball). I mean now we can't send a 9 yo to run in to pick up some takeaway. We can't leave them for 5 minutes in the car, I used to choose to stay in the car with my brother because MY GOD my mum likes to look at some boring crap. They can't walk around the corner to their friend's house.

It's just getting beyond a joke. When I hear of my mum's childhood they were basically locked out of the house for the day and came back for dinner. And we wonder why things like childhood obesity etc are getting so bad - we can't send them to the park while we prepare dinner.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

T 800  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I do agree with that and I wasn't meaning just walking to school (although it was often the highlight of my day walking to and from school with my friends - we had a ball). I mean now we can't send a 9 yo to run in to pick up some takeaway. We can't leave them for 5 minutes in the car, I used to choose to stay in the car with my brother because MY GOD my mum likes to look at some boring crap. They can't walk around the corner to their friend's house.

It's just getting beyond a joke. When I hear of my mum's childhood they were basically locked out of the house for the day and came back for dinner. And we wonder why things like childhood obesity etc are getting so bad - we can't send them to the park while we prepare dinner.
    Oh yeah I agree with all of that!